How much gph for my 20 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Don't say 20x the water volume because other reefers say thats too much. I'll be using two powerheads and aim them at an angle at a side of your tank so it delfects off the tank glass. I how much gph do I need around? And can you send me a link to purchase these. Are these good? 200 GPH Submersible Pump Aquarium Fish Tank Powerhead Fountain Water Hydroponic | eBay
My tank is 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 13 inches tall. I will be keeping Zoas, mushrooms, Lps, and one or two hardy sps corals.

I'd run 2 of the koralias. A 425 and a 240 if it is a 20 long. That will give you good spread out flow throughout the tank. Are you running a sump? And yes that is over the 20x tank volume mark but the koralias have a nice spread out even flow. No blasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could try Rio brand. Little bit cheaper, I have their 50 in my nano. Between it and my HOB, there aren't any dead spots in the tank.

Silent. Current one for a week, but the reviews I've read are more positive than the similarly sized from Hydor. Either way, they'll make noise if you don't keep them clean.

You could check out the jebao wp10. Very powerful for its size and comes with the wavemaker controller. Runs around $50 I think? I use one in my 20L with a 425 gph koralia on the opposite side pointed behind my rock to take care of any dead spots

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The hydor koralia is the best quality for your money. They are super reliable powerheads that i couldnt recommend more.

As to the flow, a commonly accepted flow rate for reef tanks is 10x to 40x the flow rate per hour. Everyone is gonna have their opinion, but that amount is the mosy widely accepted.

Back
Top Bottom