Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would say yes, you need the power heads to circculate the water to keep O2 lvls up. You probably don't need as much as the coral keepers but you deffinately need the water to be moving otherwise it will get stagnant.

cycling began 4-22-05
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your going to need something moving the water. Certin algaes will grow much better in stagnant or semistagnant water so often just some water movement of 7X to 1 will keep some forms of algae from going out of control. In addition your SW fish have come from a habitat that has fast moving currents and on a health stand point putting them in a tank with nearly no current will not be good for them. Some fish, namly tangs and other big fish, will need these currents else they can sufficate or get them selves into trouble as they try to make their own currents.

For your size tank though a tang is way to big. I just used them as an example. You should shoot for 300-450GPH of overall water flow in the tank itself.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
I have a 30 gal hex, but not planning on corals, do I need a powerhead?
You need circulation. Powerheads are the easiest way to achieve that amount necessary. I have an oceanic 32 hex and I currently am running a maxijet 750 and a fluval 104 (which means I barely meeting the min 10x gallon requirement for a saltwater tank). What are you using for circulation? I plan on adding another powerhead to increase circulation and surface agitation on my tank.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
zacdl

Do you think I could have it pointing to the side kinda and just have the flow follow the outside walls? Kinda like a swirling tank of water.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
You need to look at the total gph of your circulation (and placement) since hex tanks are so tall.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #16
zacdl

I was thinking AROUND 250.

I am planning on smaller fish, so I do not want to make it too hard for them to swim in.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

so how does the Tunze stream kit work, I have seen video of it in action, but what does it do? to achieve that?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, you still need a PH in your 30.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
zacdl

Actually I was thinking I needed one anyway, I am concerned later on it may not be enough oxygen, so I will get one.

160 GPH is what I am going for (I am planning on small fish and dont want them to have harder time swimming, this would also keep the water moving pretty good too)
Old 05-01-2005, 02:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I added a Tunze t24 kit as well. You can set the flow at your desire and change it up in a ton of different ways not to mention I can turn he tank over 40 times per hour if need be. I have it set at around 25 times per hour right now not to mention my mag 18 return pump. However you only need to go this extreme if you plan on an sps tank. Flow is needed for a healthy aquarium and solved my ph crashing problems at the same time.

Tags
gph, powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com