How much have you spent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IworkatPSP

Aquarium Advice Activist
My friends and I were discussing today how expensive this hobby is, and were both surprised and upset about how much we've spent.

How much have you spent on your tank?

Before fish, I've spent almost 1200 bucks, on just a 30gallon! Heh, I could have bought a big screen TV.

I haven't been keeping track, and I don't want to know. I got my initial setup for free so that "saved" us a bunch of money. :lol:

29 gal Tank= $289
New Hood = $ 197
4 live plants bulbs = 4 x $5
fish= $150
canister filter= $234
plants= $400 (lots died)
heater= $50
airpump = $30
and thats just my 29 gallon :!: :!:

I work very hard to not have a paper trail on how much I have spent on my tank. I would have to say I have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $....oh crap...her comes my wife! :wink:

Oh crap is right! I have a 120. I'm guessing the number is up over 5K but I don't want to know exactly what that number is! The free stuff ends up costing me more money...

$1200 on a TV, that’s is not that big. I have to many hobbies.
Home theatres, Car audio, woodworking, bamboo, yard work, computers, cars, …..

I don’t know how much I have spent on my 90g FW or my 30g SW but it is a lot lest then my other hobbies. To tell you the truth, I think it is the most rewarding dollar per dollar.

I probably put $25k into my car audio projects. And I don’t have much to show for it. But with the fish anytime a guest comes over they can see what we have spent money on.

Like I said, I have spent a bunch, But not nearly as much as anyone else would have if they bought the same exact stuff I have. I feel sorry for you guys who have to spen full price for everything, I would never get anywhere in this hobby if i had to.

I just started so lets see..

$75 29 gal tank and salt mix
$300 Lighting, sand, glass cover, hydrometer, timer, protein skimmer, therometer
$75 Live rocks
$45 Base rocks
$30 Heater

Total = $525 so far

i got my 150 gallon acrylic for free along with the stand. I built the canopy for about 200 bucks.

I remember my first trip to the LFS on my initial setup it was about 780 bucks for my filter, heaters, thermos, sand, etc... bought an ro/di machine 3-400 on liverock, man o man, maybe around 3k? Its worth every penny in my opnion. Gives me something to do constantly, and so very rewarding. Also have to love the compliments when people come over. I had an experienced hobbiest come over ( been doing sw for about 8 years? ) and almost pooped his pants when he saw my tank. ^_^

I have a 125 and 55 started in 02 so it adds up.. I really don't know and like others don't want to know.. I would say over $5000 in 3 years.. I got a real good deal in the 125 and the LR and Ls in both so that helped keep it down a lot.

madchild what kind of Plants cost $400? Do you mean corals??

for my 55 gallon, i spent about 1200 total. I had it documented, but i just deleted it after a little bit on exactly what i spent on what. i dont have any corals yet however.

well my 90g sw has cost alot total not sure really dont want to know but i get the happiness out of it everyday to watch my fish swim and the wounderful colors and personalities of them all and the greastest reward is when poeple come and you get the awwwwwwwwwwwws of your tank

Does that include the trailer and special moving trip I had to make to move it 400 miles in the dead of winter while not killing anything, getting into a small accident and the money associated with all of that?

Some questions are just better left unanswered, but if I went up to my wife and said can I spend $XXXX.XX on a new tank (where XXXX.XX is my dollars spent to date), she would beat me.

I am at around $13000 but I ran 3 independent electrical circuits with 30 GFI outlets and special plumbing etc had to re-enforce the floor to hold the additional 8,000 lbs so it is not the "norm" if there is such a thing.

Definition of aquarium: Aquantity of water surrounded by glass or plastic that you throw money into. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom