How much is this tank worth? 220g saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

william0410

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's a 220 gallon saltwater reef tank that my dad gave me because he doesn't want it anymore. I would want to sell everything. The coral, the ph reading supplies, the pumps, the glass tank, lights, etc... Roughly, how much do you think it would all be worth if I sold it all at once vs. separately? I really have no idea. It could be worth 100$ or 10,000$ for all I know. I live in Maryland if that makes any difference at all. I know next to nothing about fish tanks, but clearly my dad was pretty into it for a while.

link with pictures attached.

Fish Tank Photos by william0410 | Photobucket

Are you sure he was just "into it".. Lol seems a lil more than that.. Very nice tank.. Although... The electrical work is asking for a problem to happen.. Everything could be better organized... Keep this in mind.. "You won't get anything near what your dad has put into it" it's the belly of the beast.. I think a fair asking price for the entire set up is 2000.00.... I KNOW it's worth way more, but resale on an entire setup is not profitable at all. Unless by chance you can talk a LFS into buying it... Good luck..

Just a thought, but why not have your dad teach you about keeping a reef tank? It would be a great chance to spend time with eachother and you in turn get to inherit prob 8-10g worth of reef tank

Not for nothing but getting rid of this masterpiece would be a huge mistake. Take the advice given above and spend some time with paps. This beautiful collection would be a loss. Cost would be priceless. Clean up the wiring and plumbing. Maybe put together a new stand that matches you and your tastes. Sit back an reap the benefits off your fathers labor of love

Yeah, I think I'll just put it in my house. A friend of his that owns a fish store said that he'd give me 30$ a piece in trade for the blue mushrooms that are in it and there's easily 100 of those in the tank, so I'll just take that money and put it into fixing up some electrical and plumbing things, maybe buy a few fish or something. Just out of curiosity, how much is it all worth roughly? I.e. not how much could I get out of it but what is the value of the tank? This could be a fun new hobby...:fish1:

Yeah, I think I'll just put it in my house. A friend of his that owns a fish store said that he'd give me 30$ a piece in trade for the blue mushrooms that are in it and there's easily 100 of those in the tank, so I'll just take that money and put it into fixing up some electrical and plumbing things, maybe buy a few fish or something. Just out of curiosity, how much is it all worth roughly? I.e. not how much could I get out of it but what is the value of the tank? This could be a fun new hobby...:fish1:

That would be a question for huma or Mr X. I would put it in the thousands

Id say in the neighborhood of 8-10g. Its easy to see theres a TON of time, effort and money in that tank

Wow I'm in md too, I need to get some blue shrooms and grow them out! What fish store is it?

I mean if you really dont want it, ill gladly trade you my 125 setup. Its a bit more manageable than a 220 of a beast

I'd definitely take your dads friend up on the trade. But I would fix the wiring and plumbing with your own money. Use the trade money to offset the maintenance cost as you learn to care for your reef. Im new to this hobby and there is a learning curve I didn't anticipate. My tank is healthy but my wallet has felt the sting from lack of knowledge. Your father is your most valuable asset

Okay, thanks for all of the input. This might be a stupid question, but how would a seahorse do in this setup? I've always kind of wanted one, but I really don't know whether that dream would work out without drastic changes being made to the tank...

That is a seriously nice looking tank and i think your dad may have given it to you with the intention of teaching you how to maintain it and enjoy it with you.

If it seems like too much work for you then consult your dad about what he wants done with it. Being in this hobby for a long time means he probably has more knowledge of what things are really worth and where you will get the best prices.He may even know someone willing to buy the whole set up as is.

Back
Top Bottom