How much is too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to add some more lighting and I want to make sure I get all I can without making my tank an Easy-Bake Oven!

Right now I have a 60 Gallon (40x22x16) with 75 lbs of LR and 30lbs of LS, my current lighting is a single 250w 10,000K MH with a 50/50 10,000K/Actinic PC. I am looking to add more actinic so I want a 4 bulb VHO with 3 Actinic and 1 10,000K. My choices are a 4x75 and a 4x95 retrofit. If I add 225w or 285w of Actinic and 75w or 95w of 10,000K too much? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last question for this post- How does the heat output of VHO compare to MH and PC? TIA! :lol:

I think I'd look hard at just adding a 96w PC actinic. Another possibility would be to add a couple of T-5 actinics to what you already have. With the 10k MH, I don't see the need for having any other light in the 10k temp. If you just want a bluer tank, you might go to a 12k MH bulb. If you really want more light, adding another MH would be the way to go. A 40" tank can accomodate 2 MH's easily and I think you could grow anything you wanted to with that setup. My suggestion is to look at adding another 250w MH and maybe using a 2x96w PC actinic setup. One problem with VHO is the cost of the ballasts. You can run a pair of 96w PC's with a Workhorse 7 ballast...$40 or less. I've never seen a VHO ballast for that kind of money; not even a used one.
As to the heat issue, VHO's are marginally cooler if any than PC's...they both get pretty warm. Neither is close to a MH in terms of heat. With a couple of fans properly set up, I don't see a temp problem though...unless your house gets really warm in the summer. JMHO :mrgreen: .

i agree. VHO actinics look nicer than PC. Dont really know why, thats just what i have noticed.

Back
Top Bottom