How much light does chaeto require?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
How much light does chaeto require? I purchased one of the 65w plant lights from walmart. Is it enough?

Not sure on the exact type but another person purchased a new 75w from lowes one of new twirly looking lights and uses it on his tank. I think yours should work.

I use a 65 watt CF bulb from home depot. I have to trim my chaeto back all the time (probably every other week) because it just grows super fast. You don't need much. Someone told me in another tread to keep the chaeto trimmed so it's evenly dispursed across the top. You don't want it getting so big that parts of the algae are in the dark basically cause they'll die off and release nitrates back into the system. But you probably already knew that.

Here's my fuge with the light on.
img_523681_0_95f9daa5c5df9c92ccd9b82ad263bfa2.jpg

on a side note, i realized the other day that i should have put the fuge on the far right instead of in the middle. Water flows too quickly through it for pods or anything to really be able to swim around in there. So that's going to be an all day project to switch that around:(

Thanks for the info. I was afraid I needed two of them due to the size of my refugium but I think I will be OK.

LOL.. Brenden.. I dont think most of us could compare our fuges with your 150 gallon fuge sump setup.. :p
you might need more light.. hay.. if your T-5 HO's dont work out for your main tank.. GE makes a 6500K T-5 HO bulb that set of 4 would really be killer for your fuge :p
Im not going to speculate but youll have to see if the little 65 is enough for your fuge by giving it a try... somehow I think you might get better growth out of more light.. just being honest B. :D

Back
Top Bottom