How much light for a 40 gallon refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to put live rock rubble and sand in it. THe rock has nice purple coralline algae on it which I would like to keep. How much light will I need. I plan on having the refugium lights on the 12 hours that my main lights are off.

I would think 3wpg should be enough for a fuge. Maybe less for just coralline but I'm not sure.

Don't forget that unlike your tank, your 40 gal fuge will probablyonly about 10 gallons of water in it. A 28w coralife fixture would be fine.

The way I am setting my fuge up will enable it to have about 30 gallons. Bulkheads will be about 3" down from the top and the drain will be a piece of pvc that is slotted with an elbow on the end of it to prevent overflows. You can see the refugium I am doing at www.lifereef.com under custom work.

Will 28w still be enough?

Attached is a pic of the refugium type. Mine will be larger

Go with the coralife that has the 65w bulb to be sure. It really depends on what else your going to have in there. Macro algae doesn't need much either. I had good coraline growth in my 125 with the original 30w NO bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom