How much light over a 100 gal for sps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much light over a 100 gal for sps?

At the moment i have a 100 gal tank with a 250 watt halide over it, the tank is a weird shape by being 40" wide by 24" deep by 28" high.

I am going to add some more 250 watt compact metal halide units, at least two. As this would give me 750 watt over the tank.

But i am wondering how many of these compact 250 unit you suggest i add?

Andrew

The most I have ever heard of (and this was on several different peoples tanks) was 10-12 watts per gallon. That being said...watts per gallon is one of the worst ways to gauge lighting for a tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

But 3 metal halide bulbs evenly spaced over your tank, than I would say probably 300watts of either Compact Flourescent or VHO lighting.

I have worked with one MH per two feet of tank, however I don't know if its necessarily a "valid" way to meassure.

Brisc0 is correct in saying that one MH typically covers about a 24" radius. So for a 40" wide tank, I would use two MH bulbs. With a height of 28", I would use no less than 250w bulbs. You could even go with 400w, but the heat produced would could play a role in water temperature. If I were doing, I'd go with two 250w bulbs.

I would then run either a couple of PC 03's or T5 03's.

I would use 2 400W for sps.
I agree with the 2x250w bulbs you are really only going to be able to keep SPS up high in the tank..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom