how much live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i am hoping to set up a marine tank in the near future and was wondering about how thick should the substrate be, im thinking 1-2", and how much live rock i will need as to fully filter my tank along with a protien skimer, for my 35gal tank
thanks a lot
jack

Its really up to you on the sand bed. I have a 30 gallon with about an inch deep sandbed and 45 pounds of rock. It just depend on your opinion.

1lb per gallon is a good starting point. More is better but you want to end up with a fish tank not a rock tank. Very dense rock will require more pounds so that is something to remember also.
Sand bed is choice, some like deep some like shallow, I like to have enough to get up even or just over the plastic support..

ok thanks guys, do you know of any specific types of LR that is reasonably light as of course have a limited budget, ive heard figi is good
cheers
jack

you can get a mix of base rock and then get some LR to go with it.. Don't cut corners here, LR is the best filtration you can have for the tank. If you can only efford 30-40 lbs of LR get some base rock to go with it.. JMO>>

Back
Top Bottom