Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much live rock can you add at one time?

I"m just getting my tank set up this week (finally!) and want to know how much of the live rock I can put in to start things off. My cycle has already started with the live sand, and I'm expecting another ammonia spike after my rock goes in. I have a 60 gallon tank and will probably settle on having 60-80 lbs total. How much of that can I put in at the beginning? And if I add the rock in stages, will there be ammonia spikes next time? I will more than likely be adding rock 15-20 lbs at a time.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
add as much as possible in the beginning. Depending on the type of rock you get, cured vs uncured, the length of transportation ie: online order vs LFS purchase, those things will determine how much of a spike you get. The more rock you start with, the less problems you will have when adding more.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will there be a problem if I add it in stages? I don't want to add fish until I'm pretty close to having all the rock I need, but if it won't result in too bad a spike maybe I'll sneak in one or two once I'm cycled.

All my rock will be cured, LFS bought, and will be in my tank from their's in no less than 20 minutes. I am very fortunate to have several quality stores close to my house.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you should be fine then.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com