how much lr do i need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want to have fish in my 38 gal. and i dont know how much live rock i need and what kind, any suggesstions?

If your using the lr as your filtration, 1-1.5 lbs per gallon is what is suggested. So, I'd say about 55lbs for the 38.

And about 110lbs for the 75.

does this amount (55lbs) still apply if i told u that im going to have an AC500 and penguin 200 running too.

If your going to depend on mechanical filtration, no, you won't need as much. Get as much as looks pleasing to you.

ok, on the 75 gal, i have a wet dry or trickle filter and also have a Fluvul 404 on order and shipping to me.

how much LR is safe for starters.

Personally, since I prefer the look and filtration capabilities of the live rock, I would get at least 75 lbs. (1lbs per gallon)That sounds like alot I know but once you get it in the tank, you'll see, it's not much at all.

In my 55 I have 80lbs of LR in the tank on a DSB and I put 10lbs of live rubble into my wet/dry that i converted into a sump. I don't have any other filtration other than that and all is well after 9 mos.

Liz

technically you dont need any, but personally I wouldnt have a salt tank without. IMO if you have 0 LR then you will need to spend much more money on the mech filters to take the place of your missing LR. Then from there, your costs going forward will be constant for service and replacment filters etc... and IMO never as good as LR.

All in all LR is expensive in the beginning but more then pays for itself over the course of the tanks life...

If you want to be cheaper about it, get a good 20lbs of LR from LR.com, and a good 10-20 lbs from hirocks.com, and keep an eye out around your town for people getting out of teh hobby... you should get good deals from them.

I myself, went with 100lbs LR.com rocks and 60lbs of Hirocks 30 rubble for sump and 30 premium for inside tank and support pieces for the LR.com

To save money, buy 50% or even up to 90% "base rock" from hirocks.com ... it's cheaper, looks fine,and will be "live" pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom