How much of an impact will coral have on the tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess my question really is do they effect the nitrogen cycle of the tank like a fish or an invert or how does that work.. I was looking at the zoo pics in another thread and got to thinkin about it. Like if you put in a fish should you wait a month for a coral or can you just go on and pop that in like it was a snail?? Not going this route anytime soon but I really am curious.

Thanks

Doan

Corals add little to nothing in terms of bio-load in the tank. If anything they will aid in water quality not detract from it. Especially with soft coral harvesting. All corals consume nitrates to a small degree.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve.. How long *really* should one wait before putting a bubble coarl in a new tank?? I am just thinking down the road here that is the one I really wanna start with I was told it was very hardy and I find it very attractive.. (hmmmmm usually don't use hardy and attractive in the same sentence :) Also is there somewhere you know of to find out things such as how and or what to feed them how often to do it how to place them just in general??

Thanks

Doan

Doan said:
How long *really* should one wait before putting a bubble coarl in a new tank?? I am just thinking down the road here that is the one I really wanna start with I was told it was very hardy and I find it very attractive.. (hmmmmm usually don't use hardy and attractive in the same sentence :)
That would really depend on the stability of the tank parameters and the age of the set up as well as lighting. As a very general guideline though, soft 3-4 months, LPS 6-8 months and SPS 8-12 months. That is given all parameters are in the green and stable including chem.

Also is there somewhere you know of to find out things such as how and or what to feed them how often to do it how to place them just in general??

Cheers
Steve

at this point, I think many here would suggest a trip to our local book store. A book will be very helpful for you in the stage you're in now, making decisions and identifying the new life that will start to just "Appear" on your LR.

Just my two cents... Also read. take your book or check with this site before you buy anything... Never act on impulses. The LFS will tell you anything they think you want to hear to sell you their stock. Here the only vested interest we have is hearing how great your new stuff is doing and hoping we get a picture of it...

reefobsessed said:
Here the only vested interest we have is hearing how great your new stuff is doing and hoping we get a picture of it...
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom