How much sand for a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a 4x 54 watt t5 HO for my 55g, and all i need now is sand? but the question is how much sand do i need for a solid reef set up, im so tired of the CC in my 20g time to make the right choice for once

so 550 lbs of sand? LOL no way man i dont even think the demintions of the tank can hold that much sand, your to funny..i think you ment 1# per g, so thanks

If your just aiming to have a nice covering on the bottom then you can shoot for 1 lb per gallon. That should give you a nice 1-2 inch covering. If your looking to do a deep sand bed of 4+ inches, then your looking at 2-3 lbs per gallon or so.

I picked up 65 lbs of argonite sand this morning for $70 from petsmart. i suppose ill pick up 10 more.

Now the real challenge is moving this 20g off the 55g stand to put the 55g tank up there any ideas?

Now the real challenge is moving this 20g off the 55g stand to put the 55g tank up there any ideas?

Yeah, get a 5 gal bucket and put your live stock and LR in it with a power head. should be okay for a couple of days (make sure you keep it topped of a couple times a day. put the sand in the 55 and add the 20 sand. then everything back in the 55. don't forget to aclimate.

ps maybe a couple of buckets(y)

Back
Top Bottom