How much Tech CB buffer does it really take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveNandi

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 46 GAL bowfront, with a 15 GAL sump and an 18 inch Aquafuge HOT refugium. I'd guess 50 gallons of water after subtractign space for LR and adding fuge and sump. We're using Tech CB buffer. Per the bottle we should dose 12.5 ml of each part A & B (10ml/40 gal) daily. Even dosing 20ml in the morning it will fall from a KH of 9 or 10 to 8 the next AM. Is this normal? How much do other people dose in real life? All other parameters (Amonia, Nitrite, Ca, PH) seem perfect - except Nitrate at 12.5 mg/l.

which is right !! 400-450 is ideal !! which depending on ya ca consuming animals ya have it can drop real fast !! so as the animals grow ya might have to add more of the 2nd part !!!

The two part additives are very weak, cause they are meant to be dosed daily. I have used tech CB and have found it necessary once the tank was stocked to add 2-3 times the recommended amount daily to maintain levels.

What other options do we have to keep Ca and KH up, without the expense and hassle of setting up a Ca reactor? Despite adding 2x recommended amounts daily, our KH was once again down to 8 this morning (we don't have a Ca test kit, so only our LFS can measure it for us).

Night try a different brand of two parter, like b-ionic. You could also use kalkwasser to supplament. I do not evaporate enough for the kalk to keep up with my levels, so I use the two parter and kalk and do biweekly waterchanges. Between the three it maintains my levels at acceptable ranges. You really should have a CA kit, to be honest, your ALK reading is useless without a corresponding CA reading,.

Adding Tech CB

I've just begun experimenting with adding Tech CB daily and watching what it does to my Ca and KH... so far, following the recommendations, I'm unable to cause any significant change. (Ca - 360; KH 3.0)

If you are 2x or 3x the recommendation, are you adding this 1x per day?...or 2 or more times per day?

My skimate was also very strong smelling for the first time ever today. I suspect something in the Tech CB is being skimmed and it doesn't smell nice at all! Any ideas?

Actually B-Ionic is alot stronger than the Kent products and should hold your Ca and Alk at the required levels fine. I have actually been very disapointed with the kent products when I compared the to Seachem and ESVproducts. It seems the Kent products always need more to hold the required levels.

If you are 2x or 3x the recommendation, are you adding this 1x per day?...or 2 or more times per day?

I add it all at one time, in the morning a few hours before the lights come on.

My skimate was also very strong smelling for the first time ever today. I suspect something in the Tech CB is being skimmed and it doesn't smell nice at all! Any ideas?

Coincidence, something bloomed or spawned and your skimmer removed it. I have been sporadic with my Kent tech CB and I have never noticed a difference in skimmate smell, not that I sniff my skimate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have actually been very disapointed with the kent products

I agree, I have always thought it was pretty weak, in comparison, but when I bought my gallon bottle of Kent, b-ionic was not available to me locally and the C-balance was just as weak and the kent stuff was cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom