Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
how much time do y'all spend admiring?

I'm just wondering about how much time people spend just watching and admiring their tank. Not including any time spent doing maintenance, just stopping to admire. If anyone cares to post an answer, throw your years in the hobby down too.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Well, when my 1st tank 55g reef was up I was ALWAYS in front of it, and after a few years I STILL had to stop and look for a couple minutes each and every time I walked by it coming in and going out... the hubby would try to walk between the tank and I if we were leaving to get some where on a certain time LOL.. but I had to stop and admire the life in it.

Of course at night I spent atleast 30 minutes looking for unseen secret life... LOL... I just set up a 29g in the family room until we close in the back florida room, and then a bigger tank is going in there when I can boot the dear husbands big screen out there LOL.... I watch my tank A LOT!

It's way better than TV!

Kimberly in NE Florida
Cycle complete Early 2-06
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Admiring your tank frequently can also be an important diagnostic tool as well. If you know what everything looks like when all is well it's a lot easier to spot problems when they occur.

Plus it's just plain fun. =)
CMD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am always looking at my tank. I dont know why. My guinea pig loves it too. My girlfriend says "you pay more attention to that darn fish tank then me". I guess I will get over it. Ohh did I mention I run the fishtanks at my LFS so I am always in front of tanks.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
sometimes when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I sneak a peek at the tank.

My wife thinks I'm nuts.

60gal reef in progress
75lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Rock
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think we all appear a little "off" to others about the amount the hobby consumes us.

I'm just startin' my tank and its all I frickin' think about all day. I've been putting in some serious time getting it all ready in the last month, not a day goes by when I'm not doing something to tighten up the system and modify it to make it better, quieter, more appealing to look at.

I've had my saws running overtime build shelfs, an enclosure casing, a cap/hood. I think my wife thinks i'm coocoo for coco puffs as well.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I visit my tank quite frequently. In the morning before work and when I get home. I think we tend to develop a habit of doing this because we want to make sure things are constantly going well at all times.
I have been in this hobby now for 13 years, and I can honestly say it never gets boring. In fact, I love doing maintenance to the tank. Sad, isn't it? My wife does get annoyed with me on occassion. However, she loves to show the tank off to friends when they come over, so she must be some what happy about it. If I had the chance, I would spend hours in front of it just watching..it is better than watching tv.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm spending a lot more time than usual lately, but I am going through the process of setting up the new saltwater tank. I probably average 1/2 hour every day watching my fish, looking at my live rock to see new and interesting growth, etc. I'm sure it'll increase as I get my 46-gallon up and running!

I'm passing 2 years in the hobby now, feel like I have done well with freshwater, time to move on to salt!

38 Gallon (Freshwater): 1 Green Swordtail, 3 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Blue Gourami, 4 Otocinclus, 7 Cherry Barbs.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
my addiction runs deep. I'm always looking at it. My favorite thing to do is sit on the couch across the room and watch everything. It seems like the fish act themselves when i'm not right up against the glass.
75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
At least 15 min a day. Sometimes at night before crashing I'll just sit and watch until the primary light kills off for the night and the blue moon light is on only. Then it's just stunning and too cool to not watch. I get off my butt before falling asleep and goto bed after 30 more minutes of fish finding.

Big thing is looking at the rocks and going. Hmmmm? Did that coraline grow more on that spot or is it a new spot?

75gal Salt, 18gal Sump, Skimmer, 60lb Live Rock, 90lb Live Sand, 3 Pwrhd, 2x55w Actinic, 2x55w 10k. Guest list: Goby Green Clown, Percula Clown and entire clean up crew.
dscount is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com