how much time do y'all spend admiring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just wondering about how much time people spend just watching and admiring their tank. Not including any time spent doing maintenance, just stopping to admire. If anyone cares to post an answer, throw your years in the hobby down too.

Well, when my 1st tank 55g reef was up I was ALWAYS in front of it, and after a few years I STILL had to stop and look for a couple minutes each and every time I walked by it coming in and going out... the hubby would try to walk between the tank and I if we were leaving to get some where on a certain time LOL.. but I had to stop and admire the life in it.

Of course at night I spent atleast 30 minutes looking for unseen secret life... LOL... I just set up a 29g in the family room until we close in the back florida room, and then a bigger tank is going in there when I can boot the dear husbands big screen out there LOL.... I watch my tank A LOT!

It's way better than TV! :)

Admiring your tank frequently can also be an important diagnostic tool as well. If you know what everything looks like when all is well it's a lot easier to spot problems when they occur.

Plus it's just plain fun. =)

I am always looking at my tank. I dont know why. My guinea pig loves it too. My girlfriend says "you pay more attention to that darn fish tank then me". I guess I will get over it. Ohh did I mention I run the fishtanks at my LFS so I am always in front of tanks.

sometimes when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I sneak a peek at the tank.

My wife thinks I'm nuts.

John

I think we all appear a little "off" to others about the amount the hobby consumes us.

I'm just startin' my tank and its all I frickin' think about all day. I've been putting in some serious time getting it all ready in the last month, not a day goes by when I'm not doing something to tighten up the system and modify it to make it better, quieter, more appealing to look at.

I've had my saws running overtime build shelfs, an enclosure casing, a cap/hood. I think my wife thinks i'm coocoo for coco puffs as well.

Ryan

I visit my tank quite frequently. In the morning before work and when I get home. I think we tend to develop a habit of doing this because we want to make sure things are constantly going well at all times.
I have been in this hobby now for 13 years, and I can honestly say it never gets boring. In fact, I love doing maintenance to the tank. Sad, isn't it? My wife does get annoyed with me on occassion. However, she loves to show the tank off to friends when they come over, so she must be some what happy about it. If I had the chance, I would spend hours in front of it just watching..it is better than watching tv. :)

Mike

I'm spending a lot more time than usual lately, but I am going through the process of setting up the new saltwater tank. I probably average 1/2 hour every day watching my fish, looking at my live rock to see new and interesting growth, etc. I'm sure it'll increase as I get my 46-gallon up and running! :)

I'm passing 2 years in the hobby now, feel like I have done well with freshwater, time to move on to salt!

Paul

my addiction runs deep. I'm always looking at it. My favorite thing to do is sit on the couch across the room and watch everything. It seems like the fish act themselves when i'm not right up against the glass.

At least 15 min a day. Sometimes at night before crashing I'll just sit and watch until the primary light kills off for the night and the blue moon light is on only. Then it's just stunning and too cool to not watch. I get off my butt before falling asleep and goto bed after 30 more minutes of fish finding.

Big thing is looking at the rocks and going. Hmmmm? Did that coraline grow more on that spot or is it a new spot?

My tank is in our famiy room where the TV is, so most nights I will spend more time watching the tank than the TV. I probably spend all up an hour a day just looking at it.
When we have people over they spend most of the night watching and commenting on the tank.
Love it
:D

AquaReefer said:
My girlfriend says "you pay more attention to that darn fish tank then me"

I have heard that before man! I spend probably about 30minutes-1 hour just gazing at my tank everyday eventhogh there isnt much in it yet! I can't wait to start another when I get the money! My Fiance stares at it just as much. I have as much fun doing maitenece as I do watching it. Its like you are creating your own ocean in your house. Our tank is in the bedroom so we have a good view. :)

I do the usual looking, in the morning before work, as soon as I get home. But for the most part if I pass by it, I have to stop and look...and while I am in the living room I sneak glances at it just to make sure things are ok. But my favorite spot is the big cushiony chair that sits right next to the tank...its positioned perfectly so you can look down the whole length of the tank and see infront of and behind the live rock, its such a sweet spot. I've noticed that the fish start swimming by the chair after sitting there a while...

My boyfriend and I have had our tank for almost 6 months now and its great to have a hobby that we can both enjoy, and spend money on...haha...we really enjoy doing maintenence together...

i spend at least 1 to 2 hours a day looking and changing something. I've had salt for a little over a year now and when i'm not looking at my tank i'm online here reading and learning its all so interesting and fun.

I look at my little tank all the time. You know its great when you get the kids off of the ps2! my girls will watch the tank more than they do the tv. also great! My 14 year old and I have a really great bond with our hobbies she breeds bettas so I help her with hers and vise versa. We love our tanks. You know you are addicted when you start remodeling your house to support your tanks. next I am adding another room just for our tanks. I also posted this on another thread but you know your a little loopy when you start having dreams about your tanks. I have been having crazy dreams about my mushrooms. LOL!

I usually admire it when Im suppose to be doing my homework for classes. Tank sits right next to my desk so its an easy distraction. lol

Every chance I get. I even get up 30 minutes earlier than everyone else just so that I can have my morning alone time with the forum and the tank. It's a sickness.

Tried to convince the Mrs to let me move it into the closet wall and cut out so we can view in the office and family room. Let's just say I can move it into the office w/o cutting anything out of the walls. So I can get distracted while on the computer doing work instead. She wasn't excited about a big ole hole in the family room wall.

Lately I've upgraded to about 1 hour a day if not more. Especially after hours when the daylight lights are off.

Back
Top Bottom