Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How much to feed and how often?

I have a 55 gallon tank, with sump, UV, and about 70 lbs of live rock. Only one fish in it for now, a flame angel. I am getting spikes of ammonia about .25ppm. So only thing I can think of is over feeding? I usually feed him one flake a day of Fomula 1 is this too much?

Old 02-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you seeing the fish acutally eat the flake? One flake a day should not be overfeeding by any means.

Please provide more info on your tank like how long its been setup, etc.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #3

Is has been going for about 2 months. The Flame has been in there about 2 weeks. Ammonia was 0ppm when I put him in. I have about 15 snails and 3 red leg crabs in there also. Protein skimmer in the sump, dual output coming from sump for return, plus I have an additional powerjet in tank for more water movement. The flame eats the entire flake in less than 2 minutes. I have VHO and Powercompact for lighting and have lots of Coralline algae growing (Purpleup seems to working, thanks for the advice I read here btw). SO I can't really figure out the ammonia spikes.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have seen some test kits report inaccurate ammonia readings. Are you using a FW test kit or a test kit that does not say explicitly its a SW test kit? Who makes the test kit your using?

How big are these flakes? I was thinking the flake could be eaten in a few bites vs taking a few minutes.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #5

Its a SW test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The flakes are about 1.5 x 1.5 inches.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltar
Its a SW test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The flakes are about 1.5 x 1.5 inches.
I have the same kit and it's very hard to differentiate between 0 and .25ppm. Start off in a medium lit room (if it's too bright it'll show greener than it really is), hold the color chart against the side of the vial and compare. If you put the bottom of the vial against the color chart it's hard to tell. Use the side. Your load seems very light so it's hard to tell whats causing it.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #7

The kit I have for ammonia has yellow for the color chart.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't say it was green. I said it would show up greener if you put it in direct lighting. True, it's yellow for 0 & .25ppm, but it's green after that. And .25ppm isn't really a 'spike'.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

My RedSea test is difficult to tell between 0 and .25 also. Same Yellow...Green color chart. Do salifurt tests have a larger degree of color change than other tests? Are they easier to read.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com