Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How Much to Feed my tank???

My tank looks like this:

60 Gallon DAS ECO Reef w/ integrated sump and Protein skimmer
1x250w MH 10,000K
1x55w Actinic PC
1x96w Combo PC
1x13w Actininc moon(mood) light
45 pounds Fiji live rock
30 pounds base rock
30 pounds fiji live sand
2 False Percula
1 Yellow Tang
1 Spotted Mandarin
~50 Snails of various types
~10 Dwarf hermits
1 arrow crab(soon to be leaving)
1 Atlantic Cucumber
4 Peppermint shrimp
2 Serpent Stars
1 Brittle Star
1 4" Crocea Clam
1 Bubble Coral
1 Lemnalia Tree Coral
1 Brain/Maze Coral
1 Pumping Xenia
1 Queen Conch
2 mythrax Crabs

With regards to the frozen cubes, how much should I be feeding the tank. I do not want to starve anybody, but I do not want to overfeed either. I have a variety of types of cubes, pellets and flakes, so please help me figure out how to use them.

BTW- the mandarin gets his own supply of pods delivered fresh a couple times a week, the tang gets some macro algea all the time and the corals get some Coral Heaven from IPSF 2 times per week.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: How Much to Feed my tank???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMac

2 False Percula
1 Yellow Tang

2 Serpent Stars
1 Brittle Star

1 Bubble Coral

I edited your post a little...

What is left is basically what you will be feeding. The bubble can catch meaty foods out of the water if you direct them his general direction. You can also spot feed him once a week or so. His requirements are minimal in regards to your feeding regiment.

The percs...they will eat most meaty foods as will the tang. I would drop in a cube every day...maybe every two days. You can supplement the tangs diet w/ dried algae.

I would also put Vit C on their food as well as Garlic Xtreme.
Both are immune boosters and garlic will stimulate their appetite.

The stars will scavenge, but you can feed them krill if you like.

HTH

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I dont' know if this is necessary or even helps but I'll often add a few drop of vitamins to my seaweed, rub it in and let it soak for a couple minutes before I clip it to my tank. I figured it would be good becasue the tangs are nibbling on it all day long.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The percs...they will eat most meaty foods as will the tang.
Tangs are Herbivores by nature so I think it would actually be better to leave a piece of Nori (dried seaweed) in the tank for the Tang(s) so that they can feed on and off at their desire. You can either buy one of those clips used to hold Nori to the side of the tank or use a rubber band and hold it to a rock.

Do make sure you go easy when feeding frozen foods you purchase. They are loaded in phosphorus. I would feed the cubes sparingly and then feed pellets as a staple diet. I would also recommend you make your own fish food and feed that as well. Here is a great recipe: http://home.comcast.net/~76fxe/food.htm

Don't worry about the crabs, snails, etc... They eat the leftover food. When I target feed my corals from time to time, I make sure to squirt some of my blender mush in the direction of my Skunk Shrimp just to make sure he eats. It also assures that he will not steal it out of the coral's mouth.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only problem that you may run into there is the Vit being dilluted or just plain washed away after sitting there for any lenght of time. When you put it on the meaty food they consume it pretty quickly. Obviously some of it will be washed away...

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com