How much will a Snowflake Eel eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tingram

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got a small snowflake moray eel about two weeks ago and it's appetite is ravenous... Whenever I try to feed the other fish in the tank it is always there, first in line trying to eat everything before anyone else can get to it. I feed it frozen shrimp, which it loves and will just suck it down piece after piece, but it will also try to eat the formula food that i try to feed the other fish and when they try to get it they are chased away.

I guess my questions are:
How many cubes should I feed the eel? assuming i can control it without starving the other fish in the tank
and
Is there any way to control it's appetite?

Don't know what other info you might want to know.

Thanks for looking,

Tony.

First, you should never, never, never, place frozen -anything- in your tank! Whether it's a cube or the shrimp, or whatever.

Let them defrost in a cup, bowl, whatever, before you put them into your tank.

Don't want to give your fish a brain-freeze do you ;)

I feed my snowflake eel two or three (total) shrimp (poppers) a week. I typically break them into two peices, to make them smaller for him to eat easier.

I also feed mysid shrimp (one defrosted cube) on an off-day.

Lastly, once a week I get either a small goldfish or a couple of larger guppies for him to try to catch and eat :D

Eels in general will eat until they are full and then stop. Your snowflake may not be used to gettnig fed so he is thinking every opertunity for food may be his last. I have a hawiian dragon morey and he eats once every other week. I was overfeeding him in the beginnig (evey 3 days) becase he always seemed hungry, until he spit up all of the food in his stomache. Now he is well aclimated in his home and he lets me know when he is hungry. He'll be more active, swimming aound the tank, and when he sees me, he will purch himself on top of a high rock looking for food.

I think that what may be the issue is that he is looking for something a little more substantial to eat. Squid is cheap and most SFE's love it, you can buy a pound of it around where I live for 1.68. Bay scallops are a nice size, meatier food, as are silversides and lancefish.

My eel will eat two huge shrimp every other day. when he eats silversides, 6 are a meal for him, when it is squid, 2.

The baby SFE would eat about 3 bay scallops which would be about the equivalent of one decent size shrimp. He would eat every day.

Back
Top Bottom