Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much would an mp10 help?

I have a 25 gal tab currently with karilia 750 and 425 in the tank. I don't want a wave maker because the clicking would drive me insane. So iv been debating getting an mp10 for the tank. I plan to upgrade to a 125 or 220 when I move so I figure I'll be able to use the mp10 and buy an mp40 to go with it later down the line. I just don't know how much of a difference the mp10 would make in my current set up

Give me any and all thoughts you have on the mp10 and my situation. I'd rather get all the info I can before I spend 250$ on a power head. I'm also debating getting the ecotech led fixture as well.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also if I get an mp10 will it be able to manage my tank alone or would I need 2?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A single MP10 is all you need, but you don't even need it. You are fine with what you have. You don't need a wave maker.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it would be nice to have one, and my corals would probably be alot happier with more randomized water movement instead of being blasted all the time. Also i think it would help keep my cyno issue under control beings it will keep water moving better. and keep detris out of my rocks
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Get it because you want it not because you think you need it. lol

With the two powerheads you have now you should be able to manage enough flow so you don't get muck on gunk on your rocks or sandbed. As far as corals, again if placement is good with what you have the corals can be happy.

I'm planning on getting one mp10 for my next cube tank only because I want minimal things in the tank and I think it's the best thing out there as far as circulation. If you want to spend the obscene amount of money hehe
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I love the MP10 I have... its great. But, it's not silent. You can hear it hum, and its espeially noticeable when it is running full throttle. If silence is what you're after, I'd stick with what you've got.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am after reef perfection. And I want what ever it takes to achieve that. I hate the flow that I have in my tank and I can't seem to adjust it to the way I like it. I'm just not sure what to do I guess.

Here is the only Reason I wouldn't get it and I haven't seen this question addressed yet. When I upgrade to a 75gallon tank will it be worthless?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would say get a mp40 for a 75g tank. The 10 would probably be at full blast all the time to generate enough flow in such a larger tank.

I'm hoping to squeeze by with a single mp10 in a 60g cube tank, but it's only 24 inches wide, you will be double that.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing no one has mentioned is that the MP10 only works kn glass up to 3/8" thick. Big tanks have thick glass.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
One thing no one has mentioned is that the MP10 only works kn glass up to 3/8" thick. Big tanks have thick glass.
Ah good point I never thought of that. Well I guess its not a good idea to get one even though I really want one...wish they made an mp30 or something inbetween the 10 and 40

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com