How much would an mp10 help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 25 gal tab currently with karilia 750 and 425 in the tank. I don't want a wave maker because the clicking would drive me insane. So iv been debating getting an mp10 for the tank. I plan to upgrade to a 125 or 220 when I move so I figure I'll be able to use the mp10 and buy an mp40 to go with it later down the line. I just don't know how much of a difference the mp10 would make in my current set up

Give me any and all thoughts you have on the mp10 and my situation. I'd rather get all the info I can before I spend 250$ on a power head. I'm also debating getting the ecotech led fixture as well.

A single MP10 is all you need, but you don't even need it. You are fine with what you have. You don't need a wave maker.

I think it would be nice to have one, and my corals would probably be alot happier with more randomized water movement instead of being blasted all the time. Also i think it would help keep my cyno issue under control beings it will keep water moving better. and keep detris out of my rocks

Get it because you want it not because you think you need it. lol

With the two powerheads you have now you should be able to manage enough flow so you don't get muck on gunk on your rocks or sandbed. :) As far as corals, again if placement is good with what you have the corals can be happy.

I'm planning on getting one mp10 for my next cube tank only because I want minimal things in the tank and I think it's the best thing out there as far as circulation. If you want to spend the obscene amount of money hehe

I love the MP10 I have... its great. But, it's not silent. You can hear it hum, and its espeially noticeable when it is running full throttle. If silence is what you're after, I'd stick with what you've got.

I am after reef perfection. And I want what ever it takes to achieve that. I hate the flow that I have in my tank and I can't seem to adjust it to the way I like it. I'm just not sure what to do I guess.

Here is the only Reason I wouldn't get it and I haven't seen this question addressed yet. When I upgrade to a 75gallon tank will it be worthless?

I would say get a mp40 for a 75g tank. The 10 would probably be at full blast all the time to generate enough flow in such a larger tank.

I'm hoping to squeeze by with a single mp10 in a 60g cube tank, but it's only 24 inches wide, you will be double that.

One thing no one has mentioned is that the MP10 only works kn glass up to 3/8" thick. Big tanks have thick glass.

One thing no one has mentioned is that the MP10 only works kn glass up to 3/8" thick. Big tanks have thick glass.

Ah good point I never thought of that. Well I guess its not a good idea to get one even though I really want one...wish they made an mp30 or something inbetween the 10 and 40

They used to make an MP20 I believe - might try to locate one or two of those. Just remember, (1) mp10 = (2) 750 koralias at full throttle, BUT you don't get the random flow crashes with only one.

I think i have decided to get one. I have read some articles saying that the mp10 works great in the back wall of larger tanks to sync up with the mp40 or mp60. I couldn't find an mp20 but what I did find suggested that the mp20 doesn't have all the different wave modes that the new mp10 has.

I'm thinking of getting in from petco to test to see how it works in my tank then return it if I don't like It. How long does the powerhead take to set up?

It took me about three minutes to get it in the tank and working. When I added the 2nd one the next day it took me 5 because I had to set up the Master / slave relationship between the two.

Well I found one from a guy on creigs list but I don't know what I'll be able to buy it from him but he wants 150$ for it. He said it was used for 2 months

If your plan is to upgrade later and use it will other MP's, you will want to make sure it is a "w" wireless model. Otherwise, it won't work, in sync, with the other powerheads.

CleverBs said:
I couldn't find an mp20 but what I did find suggested that the mp20 doesn't have all the different wave modes that the new mp10 has.

Just to let you know too, the programs / modes that the pumps have are great, BUT the "wave in the tank" mode is really loud. The pump whines up and down once every couple seconds and it's quite annoying.

Well I don't think I can have a wave in my tank anyways beings there's no overflow so the water level isn't really low. The mp10 I just bought from the guy on Craigslist is a wireless model. So I got a mp10w for 150$ I am happy with that I couldn't see spending 285.

Back
Top Bottom