Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this fish?
79.99 25 73.53%
399.99 2 5.88%
899.99 5 14.71%
1199.99 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The limit I have is $50. I know that fish's price already so im also abstaning. For what its worth captive breed species are always more expensive but the cost is WELL worth it since they are not taken from the reef. We as hobbists should encourage additional research into captive breeding by purchasing fish that are already captive breed.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
I don't think its that pretty even.. for that amount of money..

Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I agree. I will buy captive breed and aqua cultured whenever possible. That being said, I won't pass on a particular fish that I like alot just because its wild caught. However, If the Tank Raised option is available, I will take it. I hear they live longer heathier lives if they are Tank Raised anyway.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
zacdl

I wouldnt spend that much on a fish for any reason. I mean, look at the poll, you couldnt get rid of that thing for half of what you paid for it.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
you couldnt get rid of that thing for half of what you paid for it.
You don't buy a fish that expensive with resale value in mind. I am like most of you, I would not spend that much money on a fish, I love this fish, but have and continue to live without it. But people that will buy this fish, typically do so for status, it's rare and expensive, that's enough for them.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Id pay 79 for it, only because its "rare" which is one of the many reasons I got into this hobby but never ever for the price that live aqauria is selling for. since we are on the topic of rare fish, are there any other sw fish thats considered rare and and hard to find that anyone knows about?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
people that will buy this fish, typically do so for status, it's rare and expensive, that's enough for them.
I have never liked that kind of attitude.

Its a fish, not a diamond. You should buy a fish because you love it, not because "Boy won't everyone be jealous of me! I bet they wish THEY were this well off."

I fish that rare should not be put in a tank.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You should buy a fish because you love it
IMO the attitude of saying what someone should or should not put in there tank is even worse. we all have our own littles reasons why we got into this hobby
and if a someone wants to spend that kind of money or buys fish because its "rare", more power to em.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:18 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I guess you probably wouldn't want to know how much panther grouper sells for in Japan....and they eat it, not put it in the tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
To expensive for me. I don't have the tanks or the setup for a fish like that. I prefer to stick with the easy to keep fish. Like percs, royal grammas, and firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com