Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
How often do hermit crabs change shells???

Hey gang,

How often do blue-leg hermits change shells? I saw one switch shells just now and it was cool.

so, anyways, I have 9 hermits. and there are no more shells for them to switch to. will they start attacking each other for their shells???

I heard walmart had some small shells in their craft department. anyone try these? are they any good???

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Enygma_0 Send a message via AIM to Enygma_0 Send a message via MSN to Enygma_0 Send a message via Yahoo to Enygma_0
I was told they will eventually need new shells once they outgrow theirs, or just attck other stuff for it, snails etc.. A couple of hermits I have are running around in cerith shells when I got them from LFS.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What size shells do you need? PM me and I may be persuaded to send you some from down here if you would like. I collect them and remove nastiness like algae and dead stuff before I put them in my tank or collection. I have several hundred and I could probably spare a few.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I PMed you.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 09-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got it. Shells are quite plentiful here. When this blasted high tide decides to recede, I should be able to get a lot of really good whelks and oyster drills. Sometimes I find horse conch shells too. My wife and I go shell hunting pretty much year-round on a regular basis. I like to find new ones, identify them, and put them in my collection. After I have a couple of each, then the others get put into the "general use pot" for stuff like kids' projects, aquarium use, house knick-knacks, etc. I also fins whip corals and starfish (probably a.k.a. sand sifters) on the beach. The best time is around the middle of January when the water is good and cold. Sessile animals like sea pens and whip corals will release themselves and end up on the Gulf beaches.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have one blue legged that has gotten huge! I had to go to the local pet shop and get some tree crab shell in order to get large enough ones. $5 for 3...insane.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Want me to put you on the list too, QS?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I PM'd you. Thanks, I apperciate it. He's growing fast and I have others not far behind. Not many shells on the shores of Lake Erie.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, there is nothing available here in Peoria Illinois either.

kinda sucks.

I will probibly need to special order most of my fishes as well.

Tags
change, crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, shells

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com