How often do hermit crabs change shells???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang,

How often do blue-leg hermits change shells? I saw one switch shells just now and it was cool.

so, anyways, I have 9 hermits. and there are no more shells for them to switch to. will they start attacking each other for their shells???

I heard walmart had some small shells in their craft department. anyone try these? are they any good???

I was told they will eventually need new shells once they outgrow theirs, or just attck other stuff for it, snails etc.. A couple of hermits I have are running around in cerith shells when I got them from LFS.

What size shells do you need? PM me and I may be persuaded to send you some from down here if you would like. I collect them and remove nastiness like algae and dead stuff before I put them in my tank or collection. I have several hundred and I could probably spare a few.

Got it. Shells are quite plentiful here. When this blasted high tide decides to recede, I should be able to get a lot of really good whelks and oyster drills. Sometimes I find horse conch shells too. My wife and I go shell hunting pretty much year-round on a regular basis. I like to find new ones, identify them, and put them in my collection. After I have a couple of each, then the others get put into the "general use pot" for stuff like kids' projects, aquarium use, house knick-knacks, etc. I also fins whip corals and starfish (probably a.k.a. sand sifters) on the beach. The best time is around the middle of January when the water is good and cold. Sessile animals like sea pens and whip corals will release themselves and end up on the Gulf beaches.

I have one blue legged that has gotten huge! I had to go to the local pet shop and get some tree crab shell in order to get large enough ones. $5 for 3...insane. :evil:

I PM'd you. Thanks, I apperciate it. He's growing fast and I have others not far behind. Not many shells on the shores of Lake Erie. :roll:

Yeah, there is nothing available here in Peoria Illinois either.

kinda sucks.

I will probibly need to special order most of my fishes as well.

Back
Top Bottom