How often should I be feeding the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was reading some of the topics and saw that my algae problem could be because I'm overfeeding the fish. I feed them once a day. Is that too much?

I feed them once a day. Is that too much?

Depends on how much your feeding once per day. Feed no more than they will eat in a couple of minutes. I personally only feed every other day and more often than not every third day.

Hi ,

That was a very sound advice from reefrunner69. On top of that, occasionally I fast all my tank inhabitants.

CHEERS!

Wow, after reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely over feeding my fish. I feed them three times a day, but two of which are heavy feedings.

They always seem to be very hungry. I have four fish, a medium flame hawkfish, a medium lemon butterflyfish, and two small percula clownfish in a FO tank. I guess it is time for a diet. LOL.

RodneyCK

holy crap, i give my fish two good feedings a day. i feel guilty when i miss a feeding because i feel like they are starving!! i want my fishies to like me!! interesting to read your guys feeding schedules.
steve

I am with RR, although I feed once a day feedings usually in the morning before the lights come on.

To be honest feeding mutilple times per day is actually more natural and more healthy for the animal (with the exception of predators). However, if feeding multiple times a day, you should feed no more than can be consumed in just a few seconds.

Im starving my fish 8O

I feed some blender mush usually once or twice a week and for my 80 and 45 gal that have tangs I add nori daily.

yea I used to be more along the lines with Fishfreek and only fed a couple times a week. I have adopted a slightly more frequent schedule lately and feed just about every other day. and thats for both my FW and SW tanks.

To be honest feeding mutilple times per day is actually more natural and more healthy for the animal (with the exception of predators). However, if feeding multiple times a day, you should feed no more than can be consumed in just a few seconds

Agreed. All the books I have on FW and SW fish say to feed several times a day. But how many people actually know how *MUCH* to feed in those feedings? The majority of people overfeed their fish in one setting as it is. Can you imagine how much people would overfeed their fish in several feedings a day? 8O

So, for anyone wondering, this is why we generally recommend to feed once a day or less.

Back
Top Bottom