Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I used to be a feeder like you.....they looked hungry so i fed them. I also was constantly fighting the nitrate monster. My fish associated me with food.... They saw me coming and like pavlovs dogs...swam to surface in anticipation of a meal.

I am now a reformed over feeder. I feed them approx 1 cube frozen mysis every other day. On the odd days i put some dry seaweed on a clip and let them nibble.

They didnt starve & its now so much easier to keep the nitrate monster away...lol

Its hard for the first few days..., i so wanted to feed them....but after i broke my bad habit, they are happy & healthier. I also have more $$ to spend on equip. or critters since my monthly food bill was dramatically decreased.

Good luck.

*there should be an over feeders anonymous support group....lol.....someone you can call & they can talk you down from adding "just one more cube". I was a member of the overfeeders group for about a year...very hard habit to break.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow that is a lot of tangs for a 60 gallon tank. You can not possibly put that much food in there, your nitrates will soar! I would get a bigger home for them and fast, with that many tangs in one tank you should have at least a 180 or bigger. I am suprised they have made it this long. I would sell some of those tangs off before you kill them if you can not upgrade your tank. For the food, you should only feed them a very small amount of food twice a day. I would put a quarter cube in the am and a quarte cube in the evening. OR, I would stop using cubed food all together and feed pellets and seaweed. But again, not such big amount.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feed my fish one cube every two days. On the off days, I feed them seaweed that they can feed on. They fish are still fat and happy.
I have one each: yellow tang, maroon clownfish, percula clownfish, coral beauty angelfish, yellowtail blue damsel, and a 3 stripe damsel.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how is the maroon doing with the percula? any aggression?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
How much to feed your tank is going to depend on how much filtration and waste removal you have. All the nutrients you put in the tank need to be removed eventually. That is a lot of food you are feeding now and it would take a lot to remove that much. I would say you should cut it down to a cube a day with out know what kind of filtration you have or how often you do water changes.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

The maroon is only aggresive when the other fish get too close to his bubble tip anemone.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsrks View Post
The maroon is only aggresive when the other fish get too close to his bubble tip anemone.

good fishy, protect that home :P

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right now I only put 1 small sheet of seaweed dipped in garlic in am and feed one cube at 5pm each day.... I have a penguin bio wheel 350 ... A bio wheel 200 .... Protein skimmer.... 1000 gph power head .... 5 blue leg hermit crabs 12 snails one Sally lightfoot....
Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh also last weekend I did 50% change and this weekend o next was gonna do 10-15 % .... how often should I change??
Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why do you have so many canister filters on there ?

One cube is far too much, i would put a quarter cube twice daily max.

A lot of people only do half a cube every two days. I use pellets and feed my gang twice a day, but light feedings. And for your tangs all they need is a piece of seaweed about half inch by half inch if you only have the two per day, maybe twice per day. You don't want to have too much nutrients in your tank or your water quality will diminish.

For water changes I do a 10% every 2-3 weeks.

Tags
feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com