How often to feed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have been told hundreds of different amount to feed my fish hopefully soon with knowledge can help.... I was feeding 2 cubes in am and 3 cubes at night with sow algae sheets hanging in tank... I ran my lights from 8am to 7pm and I had a huge ctinobactetia problem... Some people tell me I have too many fish but have Ben soon tanks a long time and it was always ok from what I saw... Can someone let mr know your input on amount to feed and how often an maybe how long w lights
I have...
1 hippo tang
1 scopas tang
1 yellow tang
1 sailfin tang
2 perc clown
1 foxface rabbit
2 damsels
2 firefish
1 snake goby

Thanks for any input...

How big is your tank? Is it just me or does that seem like a LOT of food?

60 gallon .... Some guys tell me it's too much some tell me it's not enough.... Any suggestions

the guys that tell you it's not enough are idiots. that's way too much food. a surefire way how you can tell is by looking at your rock and sand bed.....and seeing cyanobacteria!

I agree that is way too much food. You should feed 1 cube once a day or maybe not the whole cube even. Give enough food for everyone to get a little. A whole cube would be the max amount you'd need.

That's alot of fish...and Tangs especially for a 60g. :) Planning on upgrading soon?

4 tangs in a 60 gallon tank. That`s amazing. I hat to be the bearer of bad news but between how much you are feeding and the bio load in your tank you are headed for a severe crash.

Sorry its Way to less Food for the fish. You should Feed your Fish 3-7 Times a Day. Unless in Nature coralfish Feed all the time. Its Not normal Feeling your fish only once a Day!

Its better to feed less amount but more often during the day.

Normal reeffish can get quite old. I have a pair of zebrasoma flavescens with the Age of 24! My Clowns are 11 Years old.

The other Thing is that you should keep reeffish in Pairs! Especially Tangs!

But!!! You have much to much Fish in your 60g Tank!!!! Hippo Tang will grow to 31cm!!! I could Not keep them in my 1500l Tank for more than 1 Year. They started to spawn and my Floor was wet everything evening!

Sure, if you keep feeding them less they will Not grow and die Sooner or later.

You will find more Information about Fish here: www.reeflex.net

Its Not enough Food but too much fish for 60g.

You should Feed your Fish 3-5 Times a Day. In nature they Feed all the Time.

Most Fish should Be keep in pairs! Especially Tangs!

www.reeflex.net here you find the Size for reeffish! Here in Austria we have Laws for keeping coralfish. Eg. No!! Fish below 200l! Tangs Not below 500. Paracanthurus hepatus. Not below 1500l.

that's not true at all. in nature they do not feed all the time. that totally depends if they are close to food or not. picking at rock, and eating a meal of meaty foods is 2 different things. feed 3-5 times a day and you'll be out of the hobby before you know it, selling off your hair algae and cyano covered rock and tank on craigslist.
the OP states he keeps nori on a clip in the tank for them as well. how do you know how much algae he's adding?

and it's also not true that tangs should be kept in pairs.

In Austria we have Laws for keeping reeffish. No Fish in Tanks less than 200litres. Paracanthurus Not below 1500l.

Sorry dude but you Talk totally nonsense. Please Read some Books about fishkeeping. Prof. Dr. Dr. Thaler is working in them for decades and there are Lots of scientific Books about that Theme!

You are right that Not all the fish Feed 24 hours. But the One we Mostly keep in our Tanks do so. Sure, i don't Know how many algae He Feeds. But there are 5 caniovores. And the Rest?

they are omnivores, not carnivores.
so, you think it would be ok for me to go out and get a trio of powder blue tangs then?
they will kill each other.
a trio of convict tangs? possibly, because they travel in schools.

And fish Feeding on micro Algae will Not Be happy with nori stripes. Neither
With artemia. From Salt lakes.

At Mr. X: have you Ever Been to the sea? What is the propper use of a reeffish in the Sea? Feeding an reproduction! Cest tout!

Sorry dude but you Talk totally nonsense. Please Read some Books about fishkeeping. Prof. Dr. Dr. Thaler is working in them for decades and there are Lots of scientific Books about that Theme!
austria must be full of hot headed dirty tank keepers.:p

Ok You're right! Can you See the 2 acanthurus japonicus? And the 2 zebrasoma flavescens, and the 2 zebrasoma xanthuruum, and the 2 chelmon rostratus?

Attachments

• image-2831085027.jpg
    image-2831085027.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-4017498204.jpg
    image-4017498204.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3790826024.jpg
    image-3790826024.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 109
Yes they are Dirty! And Full with Algae and Cyanos! ;-)

Attachments

• image-1547828829.jpg
    image-1547828829.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3098923659.jpg
    image-3098923659.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2821944353.jpg
    image-2821944353.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 94
Just Cause you Said that it is Not possible to keep Tangs in pairs! But it is!

Back
Top Bottom