Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
how often to feed?

lately I have seen articles from people saying you need to feed your fish 2-3 times a day? (fish other than seahorses that is), is this true? because I only feed mine once a day,

Houston "Face Trials with Smiles"-Porter Ellett
My aquariums-5gall snowball shrimp, 20long-awaiting setup,29gall planted
"We are nothing until we make ourselves somthing"
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Feed mine every other day. 2-3 times a day sounds like troubled/fouled waters to me.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Feeding on a more natural schedule is best for fish, especially planktivores. Planktivores, such as chromis, anthias, damsel fish(including clowns), etc. have fairly quick metabolisms and feed constantly throughout the day to satisfy their needs. Replicating this in an aquarium will improve their health. Predators, such as lionfish, eat large amounts of food at each feeding and have adapted to eat every couple days or so. So it's not necessary or even good for them to feed more often. Be cautious not to overfeed at each feeding. A good way to gauge this would be to feed the same amount you are now, just spread it throughout the day. You can slowly increase the amount overtime, until you find what you think is best.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I would suggest aggressive skimming when you increase your feedings...you may also need to increase the frequency of PWCs....also I would keep up with testing your water as you transition to more feedings!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
As long as all the food is consumed, PWC's, etc. will not really need to be increased. If you start noticing algae, ie brown sand, cyano, etc., then you'll need to be more careful w/ feedings. Whenever the nutrient input is increased, such as is the case when starting feedings of phytoplankton, etc. it may take the tank a couple weeks to catch up, and be able to process it all w/out any issues. Also, more frequent feedings don't necessarily mean an increase in the overall food additions. While you can feed a little more since all is not be consumed at once, staying at the same amount, but spreading it out, will allow the fish to better metabolize and use the food.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
The key to feeding is quality, not quantity. Make sure you combine any feeding with good dietary suppliments. I suggest using items high in HUFAs and vitamins (Selcon or Vitia-Chem). I also suggest feeding high quality foods and preparing them properly. As far as amount...the jury is still out. Personaly, I feed once every coulple of days. No matter how often you feed, make sure you turn off any filtration (exept powerheads) and feed only until they stop eating. Overfeeding is a major contribution to poor water quality.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I also feed every other day and have been doing for nine yrs now. I think it is a contributing factor of not having algea for 7 yrs now. IMO this is very good for slowing down of excessive nutrients. I also agree with Brian about Quality over Quanity.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Over the 20+ years of keeping SW fish I've fed daily, 1-2 weekly, and every other day.

The amount and how often you feed will greatly vary depending on the fish you are keeping i.e. as MT79 mentioned more active (usually smaller) fish with high metabolisms in nature feed constantly all day so replicating that will IMO ensure a more natural healthy environment for those types of fish and dividing what you currently feed into smaller more controlled feedings a couple times throughout the day isn't going to contribute any more excess nutrients than feeding every other day would.

Larger predator fishes (puffers, triggers, ect...) can go longer between feedings as they also do in the wild.

Either way quality food, not overstocking, and keeping up with regular tank maintenance is much more important then when you decide to feed your stock IMO.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
FWIW, I just bought 3 cardinal fish that were sluggish in my tank for the first 2 weeks, when I tried only feeding every other day like I usually did with my clowns. Ever since increasing to daily feedings last week, I see that they are much more active and overall seem more healthy with daily feedings. They don't hide all the time, they swim around and interact with each other a lot more. Of course, they are getting selcon soaked mysis/brine/other frozen foods so it's not just a flake, but they really do seem to devour whatever I give them and they look much better. I've decided to up their food intake to a daily feeding.

Overall, I agree with what everyone else has said as well. It depends on the fish. If yours are happy with being fed every other day, that's great. If they seem happier if fed more than that, than that's good too. Just don't over feed in amount, cause then you are adding to the recipe of nuisance algae.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
fish with high metabolisms in nature feed constantly all day so replicating that will IMO ensure a more natural healthy environment for those types of fish
My point is it's NOT a point of view. It is absolutely fact. I've come across this info in many, many articles and literature. Anyone who doubts this, go read for yourself. As DT saw for herself, I've saw for myself, ..the list goes on.
Quantity is absolutely important when feeding. Feeding large quantities all at once will not allow for proper digestion, in some species as mentioned. Thus, many of those quality nutrients are wasted. They simply can not absorb and effectively use enough of the nutrients when fed large quantitys every couple days. It passes through them to fast to sustain them. Regardless of "quality", restricting caloric intake and/or ignoring/disrupting their natural metabolic function is going to have effects. If you don't feel like feeding everyday, or for whatever reason, that's one thing. But it's NOT better for many fish, and in many cases is WORSE. Good husbandry speaks for itself, try it!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com