how often to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
lately I have seen articles from people saying you need to feed your fish 2-3 times a day? (fish other than seahorses that is), is this true? because I only feed mine once a day, :?

Feeding on a more natural schedule is best for fish, especially planktivores. Planktivores, such as chromis, anthias, damsel fish(including clowns), etc. have fairly quick metabolisms and feed constantly throughout the day to satisfy their needs. Replicating this in an aquarium will improve their health. Predators, such as lionfish, eat large amounts of food at each feeding and have adapted to eat every couple days or so. So it's not necessary or even good for them to feed more often. Be cautious not to overfeed at each feeding. A good way to gauge this would be to feed the same amount you are now, just spread it throughout the day. You can slowly increase the amount overtime, until you find what you think is best.

I would suggest aggressive skimming when you increase your feedings...you may also need to increase the frequency of PWCs....also I would keep up with testing your water as you transition to more feedings!

As long as all the food is consumed, PWC's, etc. will not really need to be increased. If you start noticing algae, ie brown sand, cyano, etc., then you'll need to be more careful w/ feedings. Whenever the nutrient input is increased, such as is the case when starting feedings of phytoplankton, etc. it may take the tank a couple weeks to catch up, and be able to process it all w/out any issues. Also, more frequent feedings don't necessarily mean an increase in the overall food additions. While you can feed a little more since all is not be consumed at once, staying at the same amount, but spreading it out, will allow the fish to better metabolize and use the food.

The key to feeding is quality, not quantity. Make sure you combine any feeding with good dietary suppliments. I suggest using items high in HUFAs and vitamins (Selcon or Vitia-Chem). I also suggest feeding high quality foods and preparing them properly. As far as amount...the jury is still out. Personaly, I feed once every coulple of days. No matter how often you feed, make sure you turn off any filtration (exept powerheads) and feed only until they stop eating. Overfeeding is a major contribution to poor water quality.

I also feed every other day and have been doing for nine yrs now. I think it is a contributing factor of not having algea for 7 yrs now. IMO this is very good for slowing down of excessive nutrients. I also agree with Brian about Quality over Quanity.

Over the 20+ years of keeping SW fish I've fed daily, 1-2 weekly, and every other day.

The amount and how often you feed will greatly vary depending on the fish you are keeping i.e. as MT79 mentioned more active (usually smaller) fish with high metabolisms in nature feed constantly all day so replicating that will IMO ensure a more natural healthy environment for those types of fish and dividing what you currently feed into smaller more controlled feedings a couple times throughout the day isn't going to contribute any more excess nutrients than feeding every other day would.

Larger predator fishes (puffers, triggers, ect...) can go longer between feedings as they also do in the wild.

Either way quality food, not overstocking, and keeping up with regular tank maintenance is much more important then when you decide to feed your stock IMO.

FWIW, I just bought 3 cardinal fish that were sluggish in my tank for the first 2 weeks, when I tried only feeding every other day like I usually did with my clowns. Ever since increasing to daily feedings last week, I see that they are much more active and overall seem more healthy with daily feedings. They don't hide all the time, they swim around and interact with each other a lot more. Of course, they are getting selcon soaked mysis/brine/other frozen foods so it's not just a flake, but they really do seem to devour whatever I give them and they look much better. I've decided to up their food intake to a daily feeding.

Overall, I agree with what everyone else has said as well. It depends on the fish. If yours are happy with being fed every other day, that's great. If they seem happier if fed more than that, than that's good too. Just don't over feed in amount, cause then you are adding to the recipe of nuisance algae.

HTH

fish with high metabolisms in nature feed constantly all day so replicating that will IMO ensure a more natural healthy environment for those types of fish
My point is it's NOT a point of view. It is absolutely fact. I've come across this info in many, many articles and literature. Anyone who doubts this, go read for yourself. As DT saw for herself, I've saw for myself, ..the list goes on.
Quantity is absolutely important when feeding. Feeding large quantities all at once will not allow for proper digestion, in some species as mentioned. Thus, many of those quality nutrients are wasted. They simply can not absorb and effectively use enough of the nutrients when fed large quantitys every couple days. It passes through them to fast to sustain them. Regardless of "quality", restricting caloric intake and/or ignoring/disrupting their natural metabolic function is going to have effects. If you don't feel like feeding everyday, or for whatever reason, that's one thing. But it's NOT better for many fish, and in many cases is WORSE. Good husbandry speaks for itself, try it!

IMO, there are species of fish that need more frequent feedings. For the most part, every other day will do just fine. If you are going to feed daily, you do indeed, need to do more frequent water changes, even if they eat it all and none goes to waste. Reason being, more food consumed equals more fish ouput...that is just reasonable to expect.

Our systems are not sterile. There is food available on the rocks and such for them to pick at between regularly scheduled feedings as well.

As far as it being "fact". Well, in some people's opinions it is fact. That is the way this hobby works. I am sure there are scientific articles and journals out the kazoo that will preach either side of it.

I do practice good husbandry and the majority of my fish are old, some well over 10. To imply that feeding every other day is not good husbandry, is just plain nonsense.

Well, it's not the best for many fish. That is a scientific fact, as far as I can tell. Not only according too many science/hobby articles I've seen, but in my own personal experience as well. Implying it is, is nonsense. I said "good husbandry speaks for itself". Nothing about not feeding everyday being neglectful. That was your interpretation, not what I wrote. My experience and feelings are clearly expressed in my posts above.
Hara said:
If you are going to feed daily, you do indeed, need to do more frequent water changes, even if they eat it all and none goes to waste. Reason being, more food consumed equals more fish ouput...that is just reasonable to expect.
Even when feeding the exact same amount of food? More frequent excretions yes, but the nutrients, etc. introduced to the system is the same. I said in my posts above food input doesn't necessarily have to be increased, just fed more often to see results- IME.

I'm about progress. Sometimes good, just is not good enough. JMHO

The opinions on this are just that, opinions, not scientific fact. Even the articles in the trade publications in MOST cases, are written by fellow hobbiests with an opinion. In your experience, you have decided that feeding every day is what is best for the fish. In my experience, I have found the opposite to be true. We can agree to disagree on the topic. There is NOT just one right way to do things.

As you can see Blazeyreef there are many different opinions out there. You`ll just need to weigh out the info you recieved and see what works out for you. Evidently different feeding techniques are working for different people. I have mine that works for me and others have their`s that works for them. One day you`ll be able to post your`s with IME behind it. In many things in the SW arena there is no one way to do things.

thanks everyone. when I do feed all the food is eaten exept for maybe a few bites, and that is sucked up by the filter.

when I do feed all the food is eaten exept for maybe a few bites, and that is sucked up by the filter.
This is what you want to avoid. Uneaten food collected in a filter can create water quality issues, especially increase in NO3. When feeding (no matter what the frequency) it is best to turn off all filtration to avoid this. Simply leave the powerheads on to keep the current going in the tank. I am sure we can agree on this...it is just good husbandry.

lando said:
when I do feed all the food is eaten exept for maybe a few bites, and that is sucked up by the filter.
This is what you want to avoid. Uneaten food collected in a filter can create water quality issues, especially increase in NO3. When feeding (no matter what the frequency) it is best to turn off all filtration to avoid this. Simply leave the powerheads on to keep the current going in the tank. I am sure we can agree on this...it is just good husbandry.
really? I have never read that anywere... thanks for the advice :wink:

why not turn off all powerheads while feeding?

I do some of both. Feed with PHs on and PHs off. Again, depends on your setup and if you've got slower, timid feeders. I do PHs on sometimes so they can chase the food. Figured they do it in the wild that way.

Back
Top Bottom