Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

how should i defrost brine shrimp?

how should i defrost the shrimp to remove the watter that possibly has phospate in it? allso it seems alot for my 4 fish and one cleaner shrimp a whole cube of it just seems toooo much what do yous think? thanks
-Ed

Old 10-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just put the cube in a small plastic container that will float, then float it in a bowl full of just-boiled water. It defrosts within 5 - 10 mins. Remove a lot of the "water" when it's defrosted, but leave a bit in.

And, just put a bit in your tank at a time. Then a bit more, underfeed rather than overfeed! You don't need to use a whole cube at a time! I put clingfilm over the container and re-use mine the next day too. Then I throw it away and get a new cube out.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I cut my cubes into quarters and defrost in a glass of filtered water. After 5 minutes I pour the contents through a brine shrimp net to discard the pack juice. I then reverse the net and dip it into a glass filled with tank water, add vitamins and feed.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put a chunk of frozen brine in a dixie cup filled with water from the tank and then after 5-10mins I pour it back in.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
I put a chunk of frozen brine in a dixie cup filled with water from the tank and then after 5-10mins I pour it back in.
The pack juice can be like rocket fuel for algae.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The pack juice can be like rocket fuel for algae
Yeah, that is definitely some nasty stuff. I simply set a cube out to defrost on an old blockbuster membership card, and about 20 mins later I squeeze all the juice out w/ a pocket knife. Cut up the cube and add it to your tank. If feeding a whole cube w/ what you have I'd keep it at no more than 3x's a week. Supplement w/ flakes on the other days sparingly. HTH
Old 10-08-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would consider switching to something like mysis or krill. Brine has virtually no nutritional value. I soak the froozen cube in garlic extreme in a shot glass until thawed. Then I stain it and rinse it in RO/DI water before putting it in my tank. It should always be rinsed to keep the posphates down.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rinsing in RO after straining definitely sounds like a good idea...I'm going to use that...Thanks Lando.

Tags
brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com