How small is to small??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As some of you know, I am doing a 29 gallon dwarf zebra lion tank.
Well I posted on a forum in their off topic zone (I have been on this forum for years) about showing off their tanks if they had any.
I told them my plan and told them that I will post as soon as I have it up and running. The response I got shocked me! I got yelled at saying a 29 gallon was to small for a Saltwater tank!! Now I of course posted back trying to tell them of proper tools and care for any size tank is what mattered and fish selection! Not the size of the tank. They said I would be doing a lot of harm to the fish that a 55 gallon would be minimal for a saltwater

How else can I get it in their heads that I am not an evil person for starting a 29 gallon?

What does it matter what they think? Clearly there are many people with smaller saltwater tanks. Bio cubes fall in there and I'm pretty sure all those owners aren't bad people. Maybe there was concern that it would not be large enough for the dwarf lion? Thought those needed 50+?

Well im not going to yell...that would be pointless. But, i wouldnt say 29 is optimum for a dwarf lion either. I think it is decent, but a 40 is what i'd do sure to bioload!

As far as convincing goes, say you'll upgrade the tank if you see in unduitable in the future..(you would wouldnt you?)

I did a lot of research for the dwarf lion, and they are not active swimmers. That is why they are fine for my tank. I have seen a few fully grown lion fish in a 29 gallon tank and they don't even come close to outgrowing the tank. They like to perch on the rock and hide in the caves at first. So I it will be ok, I promise. If for some reason I have to upgrade I will be fine, I got the equipment for a 40 gallon tank. The equipment is the most expensive part. :p

I have done my homework for months before even selecting the fish I wanted to put in. I educated myself on lighting, fragging, fish, tank cycle, and what water to use. I am more confident than I was when I started my freshwater tank.

Anyway, I got through to them. :p A lot of the people on the website is old and don't know about all the new equipment that came out to help us keep the water clean and fresh for our fish.

Hondatek

What would you suggest? To be honest it's still a toss up between the Fuzzy and Zebra. I knew I was not going to do a Fu Manchu due to it's difficult feeding habits. I do love the look of the Fu Manchu.

The only real choices are a fuzzy or a Fu IMO . I had a zebra and I can tell you from experience they do get big and are a lot more active than people would think .

I do like the Fuzzy!! I think that I will go with that. Zebra is cool looking, but the Fuzzy seems easier. I love changing my mind 24 times before I get the tank going. :p

Lol we all do. I would have to recommend a fu man chu. A lot more suitable for smaller tanks IMO. There are good sites for weening lionfish.

We won't yell at you...... but, yeah, a 29 is too small for a zebra. As far as fuzzy or fu, that'd be your choice, just make sure you witness him eating at the store before he comes home.

Back
Top Bottom