How soon to add sand sifters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
About a one month old tank with 3 1/2" of aragonite sand.

How soon would you consider adding a pistol shrimp and goby? Lost my last pair with the leak and move to a bare bottom temp tank.

Wait a little longer to add the nassarius snails?

I don't see why you can't just add them now. You'll probably have to target feed them in a tank that size. I target feed my pistol shrimp, the goby does a good job of coming out to eat. These two I always watch because I worry they aren't getting enough.
As for nassarius snails, when you start to see stuff on the sand, that's when I'd start adding them.

Get them going now. I have a pink spotted and diamond or dragon goby. They will turn some sand over.

It was a japanese pistol. He's doing awesome. He's not shy at all and will come out to take food from me. :)

Target feeding. Taking food from you.

Gonna have to explain how and with what type of food I can do this with.

My previous pistol and shrimp had their main two holes right in front of the tank where I got pretty good at my aim and water circulation (main returns) compensation to be able to drop food (pellets) almost right in their hole. Of course I won't be so lucky this time, so how do you target feed?

I've been feeding him with tongs and he comes out and takes the food. I'm not sure this boldness is typical for pistols since this is my first one but when it comes to food he practically sits up and begs. I have also used a turkey baster to target feed him before I realized he would take food from me. I feed him pieces of lance fish, shrimp, silversides and/or mysid. I try to mix it up a bit but he also eats flakes and pieces of nori. :)

There is a watchman buddy but they don't really stay together. They both do thier own thing. I almost never see them together. They stay in the same area but not necessarily together. And at feeding time it's every man for himself. :?

Well, the goby is becoming bolder as well in that it will come out in the open to feed. That makes it easier for me to blow the food toward him with the baster but yeah, he darts if he sees me actually putting my hands in the tank. lol

Back
Top Bottom