How tall is your tank w/stand & canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
Building my own stand & canopy for 150gl and what I've got is about 7'6" tall with stand, tank, and canopy. I'm wondering if this will be to tall and have risk of tipping over! Just wondering what heights others are at?

If nothing jumps in it it won't tip. Tank height depends on personal preference. My tank if off the ground 3 ft and I wish it was higher. I like it at eye level more then a little lower.

I thought it would be safe, someone brought it up to me while talking about it so I thought I'd ask.

Right now my plan is for 40" stand with drawers however I may loose a few inches to add a few to the canopy because after the construction I don't think the doors on the canopy will be big enough To comfortably reach in the tank. Lol I keep changing things and I'm sure ill continue to chant things as I build it!

Here's how the door open. I made them this way so I had full open span.
img_2311170_0_e1208a34877cc78d5a9e846600fe150e.jpg

Is this a 150gl? 6' long? Did you use only 1 support in the middle on the stand & canopy?

Yes it is a 6' long 150 gal.
Their is no center support. The way I built the stand I didn't need any center supports.

If you look at my build thread u can see how I built it.
I used 2x8 for the top frame and 2x6 for the support legs and 2x4 for the floor frame

Attachments

• image-2296575568.jpg
    image-2296575568.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 111
IMO if you take a little from the canopy and add some to the stand you would be happier. I hate having to lean over to look in the tank. If the tank is more "eye level" it tends to look a little better as a center piece for the house. Also a shorter canopy makes the tank look bigger since the stand will be so large. You want people to focus on the tank and not the "furniture" part of the tank. Also with a sump, refuge, skimmer, reactor... Any combination you decide to use for filtration you would have more room for it all. Just my opinion though and it is your tank after all.

+1. I totally agree with the hight of the canopy. Im running lumenbright reflectors that's the only reason I had to make it so tall. Those reflectors have to be 16" above water to perform the correct way.

My concern is the reach in the canopy. Making it 1' 1/2" like I planned gives me about 8" after taking our wood space.

Their is no center support. The way I built the stand I didn't need any center supports.

I used 2x8 for the top frame and 2x6 for the support legs and 2x4 for the floor frame

What did you use on the ends? I see the 2x6 but looks like maybe a 2x4 on the end?

Did you use 2x4s for the canopy?

Back
Top Bottom