How to acclimate cleanup crew ? Same as fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carioca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do i have to use the ' drip in bag' way ; like i do with fish?
Or just leave the bag floating for awhile and then dump snails, shrimp in tank?
:roll:

Inverts are more sensitive to salinty changes than fish, so doing the drip method is the way to go.

Never float the bag with salt water. You do want to take the chance of contaminating your tank. You have to do a drip with inverts. They are more sensitive to water changes so take it slow. Once they are acclimatized, net them and transfer to tank.

Snails, depending on the species, are pretty hardy and can just be temperature acclimated and dumped into the tank.

Shrimp, on the other hand, are very sensitive to changes in environment and need a long slow drip acclimation period (2 hours) to bring them up to the tank parameters. Check the sg and ph of both the acclimation container and the main tank and make sure they are equal before introducing the shrimp to the new tank.

tripper

I float the bag. I have never had a problem with the water mixing. If you are careful and can keep the water from the fish store out of the bag, you have nothing to worry about.

What I do is open the bag, put about a shot glass full of my water in the bag, then let the temp adjust. I keep adding water for about 1 1/2 hours then I take the bag out, catch the fish/snail or whatever I am adding, remove it from the water and put it in my tank.

I agree with tripper on the snails. I usually just do a temp acclimation them scoop them out of the bag and into my tank.

Back
Top Bottom