Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How to add sand to my tank???

My 132g has just got filled up with saltwater for the first time yesterday now I regret that I have got not enough sand in it. The sand cloud has since cleared up any idea how can I add more sand to avoid another sand storm in the tank??? The tricky part is that it has also got some liverocks in there since this morning and I don't want the sand storm to mess up/cover up my liverocks.

Hope you guys can help me out here. You can see my pics at member saltwater tank section. Thanks guys.

weekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Ok weekf lets see, I`ve heard others use a PVC pipe. Just get a 2 ft piece of pipe and put one end down at the bottom of tank and put sand in other end and let it slide down the pipe to the bottom. Move pipe slowly to where you need it. This will prevent sand from falling through your water and creating a dust storm.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Nice idea melosu, really appreciate it. Thanks.
weekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You can be as careful as is humanly possible and you will still get some sand on the rock. It will still be a little cloudy looking for a day or two. Except for annoying YOU, this really wont be a big issue. After putting the sand in, wait a day and then take a cheap turkey baster (1.99) at walmart, and gently squirt water at the rock to remove the sand.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest. Since you don't have livestock, a sand storm is not a big deal. I used a bowel, put the sand in it and sunk the bowel slowly, then dumped it out. Turn off your phs and filters.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

sand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com