Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
First of all, T5's are every bit as powerful as metal halides. My 8 x 54 watt fixture was putting out the same PAR on the sand bed as a 400 watt halide, and the spread was double. So, in that sense you could say that T5's are stronger than halides, watt for watt. There are more variables, but anyway....I think the hydnophora died because of nutrient rich waters. Just like Dave said.

Also, montipora capricornis isn't a high light sps IME. I have montis under a dimmable fixture just like yours with no white and just the blues on at 100% and they grow just fine.
Half and half should be good for the sps and lps initially.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figure my LEDs like this Low 10-25% Med 30-50% High 60-100%

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys im going to open this thread back up. Im actually buying an piece of sps tomorrow. Its a montipora and would like help to keep everything going well so that I can get use to my leds. There was another coral that I may pick as well. He was calling it a gonipora but I think it is something else. I looked it up its called a pink sand dollar montipora. It was very nice (to me anyways). What do you guys think? Both pieces will be about 35 bucks total. Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Hey guys im going to open this thread back up. Im actually buying an piece of sps tomorrow. Its a montipora and would like help to keep everything going well so that I can get use to my leds. There was another coral that I may pick as well. He was calling it a gonipora but I think it is something else. I looked it up its called a pink sand dollar montipora. It was very nice (to me anyways). What do you guys think? Both pieces will be about 35 bucks total. Thanks
If it is actually goniopora I would not buy it, the stuff does not last long. But for montipora just keep parameters good and it should thrive. Also, make sure to light acclimate it. Sounds like a good deal but idk what size each piece is.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say they about the size of a silver dollar and a little more. Well it says online its a pink sand dollar montipora on vivid aquariums. It looks exactly the same. How would you recommend me light acclimate it. My leds are currently turned all the way down. So where shou I d I start the coral at? In the bottom or in the middle
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like a good deal then, I'd still start them on the bottom then over a couple days move them up and then a couple more days move them to where you want them.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks. How do I know when to stop moving them? I know not enough light will cause the coral to die. I was wandering about to much light what it would do. And the guy im buying them from said with sps its almost impossible to have to much light intensity with the leds I have. Would you say this is true?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Ok thanks. How do I know when to stop moving them? I know not enough light will cause the coral to die. I was wandering about to much light what it would do. And the guy im buying them from said with sps its almost impossible to have to much light intensity with the leds I have. Would you say this is true?
Yes you can give sps too much light. If you do they will bleach. That is why you have to light acclimate them. Montipora is a fairly hardy sps and can handle a wide variety of lighting though. So move it up from the bottom after a couple days and see if it shows you good polyp extension. If it does I'd say it's happy and I'd leave it there. If it isn't getting enough light it will start to turn brown so you will need to move it to higher light. Now certain acro species which are a much more demanding sps you cannot give enough light lol but those will be left for another day.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok sounds good. And yes thats fine with the acros. I want to make sure im doing this right before I get more corals and species that are harder to care for.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What should I feed these. Or will what I give my tank be enough. I do 20 percent weekly water changes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Mushroom | Nitrates »