Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how to adjust leds?

Im really looking for an answer here guys. My problem is I dont know how to properly adjust my leds I have 3 dimmable bridglux led fixtures with white blue and lunar leds. They are dimmable but im trying to understand the correct way to adjust them. I have a few corals softies mostly. I want some lps, zoos and maybe a few sps. I guess this can be hard bc the different lighting requirments needed by the corals. Im looking for a mixed reef tank. I did have coral to I guess test my abilities the lfs said it was an easier coral to keep. I kept it for about 2 months and it died. It was hydnophora frag. For awhile it looked great, and for some reason I had an algae outbreak i dont know if that killed it or I was being premature about getting one. Mostly out of the sps I want a type of monti bc I love they way the plate over eachother on rock. Other than that I more into lps. With the hydnophora dieing rather quickly it has gotten my confidence down in my lights. Right now they are turned all the way down bc when it was about 1/3 on they started to bleach some of my softies and they are in the sand bed. Ill prolly be getting rid of these bc the monti needs intense lighting. If you all could direct me in the way of what my corals need. I know you dont know and I dont know what corals ill being getting besides a monti. So how do I determine where the coral needs to be? Can you base this off of observing the health of corals? Of so how? Fpr example, to much will bleach the coral, not enough could lose color. Im not for sure if these observations are correct it was just an example of what im looking for.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off. Are your lights the 120watt fixtures found on eBay? If so keep them. They are powerful lights that can grow anything. That being said you need to start them out dimmed low and slowly increase so your current corals have time to acclimate. New corals need to acclimate as well but should be started on the sand bed and then slowly move up as needed for their light requirements.

As for the dead coral. May not have been light acclimated properly. Though I'm more inclined to think it was due to excess nutrients as indicated by your algae outbreak. Sps need really clean tanks with very low to undetectable nutrient levels.

Don't get discouraged. Just take your time.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You really have to look at and take into account what lighting system you are replacing, I went from 2x250 MH to 2x160 led's. I started mine at 50% and ramped them to full within 10 days. But my corals were use to bright intense lighting, I was also concerned that my nems would like the lower lighting to start and wonder off, if you are replacing T5 then you need a lower and slower ramp up. T5HO a little faster, MH even faster, it is a natter of what you are replacing and what kind/quality of led you replaced them with.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks. So do coral put off signs if the like where they are or not? And yes the are 120 watt they came from amazon though.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im not really replaceing any lighting. I had my 55 woth t5s. Then I upgraded to a 125 with leds. I only had a couple coral transfer tanks. But the hydnophora came from a lfs which had the aqua illumination vega I thing. Or it was mh they had both light s on there frag tank.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What's your
Cal
Mag
Alk
Nitrate
Salinity
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont have test kit for some of those. But right now im npt at home been gone for almost a week.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your parameters are perfect:
Bleaching can be a sign of too much light.
Browning can be a sign of too little light.

If you google each of your corals you should get general placement recommendations.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey I figured I could see the light requirements online, but what do they consider high on dimmable leds? Is it all the way up or does high start at about half way. See this can be a bit confusing lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Placement (low, med, high) is usually in reference to tank location more than light level. Sand bed -> middle of tank -> top of tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Mushroom | Nitrates »