Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-01-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
How to brace a corner tank?

Ok I bought a 1/4 cylinder tank that is going in the corner. It is 235 gallons and has 4 foot legs. I am over crawl space. What is the proper way to reinforce the floor? I was thinking of getting 2 cinder blocks with jacks on top and jacking up 2 2X8's under them and go at a 45 degree angle to support the middle of tank. Any other ideas?"

Check out my webpage!!!! Click on marine life!

mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
first thing to do is to cut solid bridging (if the floor joists are 2x8 then use them). cut the 2x's to fit perpindicular between the existing joists snugly (should be 14 1/2"). This will help tie the floor together. The bridging should be installed under where the tank sits, and maybe a little more. so if the tank is 48" use 50 -60 " of bridging. then I would nail a 2x to the bottom of the floor joist where you are going to put the posts. Then either put about 4" of concrete in the crawl space extending a foot from where the posts will sit, and put 4x4 posts. It getting concrete in there is too tough use 4" solid concrete blocks. One for each corner. dig down slightly to make a level surface for the blocks and put the posts on them.
When you install the posts measure the length you need and cut the posts to length, then use a jack to SLOWLY move the floor up just enough to install the posts. hth Brad
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

corner, corner tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com