how to bring PH down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Mine is sitting around 8.45 or so... LR and herms and a single crab are only thing in it

Tested new water prior to doing water change and PH is same there?? RO

Using redsea salt per package instructions
All other levels test out fine

any ideas?

Remove SW from the tank and add some RO/DI water. Bring the pH down slowly over a week.

What is your SG? How do you measure it?

The package directions are a starting point. Adjust your mixture next time to use use less salt. I always mixe mine low to strart. It's easy to add another cup or two of mix. It's a lot harder to add more RO/DI water to an anlrady full container :)

sg is-1.0235
Swing arm Hydrometer
Still have room in tank after water change... water about an in from trim.

First thing is get a refractometer to check your SG. The swing are inaccurate IMO and you may be much higher than you think.

What test kits are you using and are you able to compare to a known pH solution?
It seems strange that freshly mixed sw a the proper SG would be reading that high. You might want to try another test kit.

Red Sea Marine lab is the test kit
Not testing for Copper, calc or others
Just testing for n03,n02,NH3,ALK,PH

Dosing calc,stron,moly and Iodine with Kent products (trying to kickstart my coraline)

Other than that nothing else out of the ordinary

Red sea test are not very accurate. I would get a better test kit and a refractometer or have your salinity tested by the LFS. If you are doing regular WC's and keeping water parameters in check you do not need to be putting additives in your tank. You are just throwing money away. I would make sure of your water parameters before you take any action to correct anything.

how often do you guys test?

And do you test all each time
Was going to get a salifert test kit but do not know if they have a combo kit.

New tanks need to be tested constantly until you "learn" your tank. I am not aware of a salifert multi test either. Seachem makes a decent muti-test that test NH3, NO2, NO3, PH, Alk.

Thanks a bunch really.

Right now I just want to learn my tank hehehe I want to know how little changes affect everything (Water, Salt lighting, Skimming)

Thanks god for hardy hermits and the emerald.... and also that I didnt have any other swimmers or they would probably be dead

I think I want to make sure I can maintain the correct levels before i throw any swimmers in there

I will checkout the seachem kits and get one...

I think I want to make sure I can maintain the correct levels before i throw any swimmers in there
You definitely want to be able to keep your tank stable before you add anything. Good luck.

From what I have read here some folks think a 29 gal is hard to maintain due to its size.

3 days after I put water in this tank I saw a 80gal on ebay w/stand for $300.00 and he is in my town!! lol

Would love a bigger tank w fuge and such but gotta put food on the table first :)

Thanks again for the input

From what I have read here some folks think a 29 gal is hard to maintain due to its size
Just stay on top of your water top offs and remember to double check before you add anything to the tank. It does not take much error to throw off 29 gallons of water.

What time of day did you test the pH to get that reading and what is the AM and late PM readings? For the most part depending on your answer, a pH of 8.45 is nothing to worry about. The 8.1-8.3 that is commonly touted as prefered is just a general guideline and indeed not something to be strictly adhered to.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom