Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
How to catch a fast humbug?

Ok, iv had a 90L SW tank for a while with 2 clowns, 1 humbug and 1 dottyback.
Today my clowns hosted my annemone!!! buutt, the humbug dosent like it and hes been attacking them so its time to get rid of him...
Iv tried nets and im currently trying to lure him into a glass jar with food but hes not taking the bait... whenever i go near the tank he swims inbetween some rock.
I would remove the rock but theres coral on some of it and an annemone has attached itself to a piece.
Any other sujjestions??

ThAtGuY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
I dont even know what a humbug is, but I have read that there are traps designed just to catch stuff. I don't know if they work or not.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You just have to become super aware of your tank and have everything ready to net it whenever the opportunity arises. I chased a yellow clown goby one night for an hour, with no success. I gave up and decided to try again the next night. Later that evening, I was walking by the tank and saw him "stuck" to the front glass. "No way", I thought. I had the net next to the tank already, and netted him while he slept on the glass. I got really lucky. Keep an eye on the tank and learn the little guy's patterns, and you'll get lucky too.

Or just plan on sitting over the tank for 3-4 hours with the net in the water - that'll work too!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I got a plastic fish coral that works quite well. You bait it with some food and wait. There is 10' of fish line that connects to the door. When the fish is in the trap a quick tug on the line closes the door. Of course other fish usually wander in first, but they can go into a QT for a short time while you wait out the humbug.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for all the info, i think i might try my luck with one of these fish traps :p

ThAtGuY11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com