How to Catch A Fish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. I have found out that damsels are MEAN! :twisted:

I ask the LFS to take them back and they said ok. But I cant catch them. Is there some way that will help me do this? It's a 75g tank, and 100pds of live rock. They hide behind the rock, and there picking on other fish. It is 2 Domino Damsels, and 2 Yellow tailed. Any suggestions??

Thanks.

PS. Yes, I have a net.

Good luck! My boyfriend's mom has been trying to rid her tank of an evil... and I do mean EVIL domino for almost an year! She's rearranging and doing a whole tank remodel/cleaning and hoping that she can finally be rid of the evil satan's spawn! :twisted:

i have had luck using paitence, a clear ziplock type baggie and putting food in the bag. if you hold the bag really still the fish can't really see the bag, nor do they seem to recognize it as something to be scared of (like the net will scare the crap out of my fish), and after they check to make sure the coast is clear, they will go in the bag for the food. be paitent though, wait for the fish to go all the way into the bag, before trying to make the catch.
good luck,
mermaid

I ended up moving some of my rock to create the best wall I could. I then used a tank divider for the rest of my blockade. I used a couple of decoy nets and with a couple fast scoops with a net I catch them.

I have found it helpful to judge where they are going to swim to net them. Sort of lead them. They are fast and do not get tired.

ashearier said:
I then used a tank divider for the rest of my blockade. .
I find that works the best for me as well. If you can use something to section off the tank, it greatly limits the hiding places/escape routes for the fish. Traps work great but be sure the bottle is appropriately sized for the fish. 2 lt pop bottles work well too. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Just want to update on this. I bought a tank devider, after I devided the tank, I moved the lr over, then it was just me and the evil damsels.... :twisted:

So I caught those boogers and took them back to the lfs. I seen them yesterday in the tank.

Thanks for the help.

lol...Sounds like ya'll are doing things the hard way. I got tired just reading this thread. :wink: I would suggest to at least try to bottle trap next time....much easier.

how long did you leav it in there...I usually have to leave it in there a day or so and not touch it.

make sure its a meaty piece of bait, leave it in there for at least a day, and make sure the opening is just big enough for the fish to swim in.

I used the bottle trap to catch my Sgt. Major Damsel. He did not go near it, but when I woke up in the morning he was in there. Off the the LFS he went!

In case anyone is still reading this thread or happens upon it through a search, this is my method of catching fish. Has worked for catching every fish I've tried to catch.

I had a piece of glass left over from the glass lid that I stopped using. The piece of glass is slightly shorter than the height of the aquarium glass. I placed this length of glas in the front corner of the aquarium making a triangle. Leave one side open wide enough for the subject fish to enter. Bait if desired by placing food in the triangle. Once you spot the fish in the triangle, close it up. The fish has a hard time getting out because there's glass on all three sides. Then net the fish from the top.

Attached is a diagram.

Hope that helps.

K.

i got a fiji devil damsel that I really hate too. And I just clean up my whole tank of rocks and corals just to catch it and give it to the pet store. Will never have mean damsel ever. ever............. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom