How to catch a mantis shrimp???? HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember them being recommended being held in anything smaller than a 20. They like things to be dark and a nice cave...this can be made out of PVC. You might want to do some research into how this is done.

I don't remember them being recommended being held in anything smaller than a 20. They like things to be dark and a nice cave...this can be made out of PVC. You might want to do some research into how this is done.

I cant do anything bigger than a 10 right now. So this will have to do. Hes only 3 inches now that i have seen his whole body.

On the third picture he is right next the the space between the two rocks on the left!.. I think...

Ive been reading and it says they need a thick sand bed, i only have 20lbs of sand in its only 1" deep. Will this be enough?

image-241782240.jpg

Also it says they can break glass. This is drawing me away from the idea of having him as a pet and making me wanna give him to the lfs. Can anyone tell me if this true?

Ive been reading and it says they need a thick sand bed, i only have 20lbs of sand in its only 1" deep. Will this be enough? Also it says they can break glass. This is drawing me away from the idea of having him as a pet and making me wanna give him to the lfs. Can anyone tell me if this true?
I've read that it can happen but I've never ever heard anybody have experience of it happening.

Our lfs had a couple and when I asked about them they said it would be unusual for it to happen and they had never heard of it actually occurring. If they are fed correctly and not starving they should be fine. And you can always upgrade to acrylic when it gets bigger.

On youtube there are some poor sad examples of people trying to get them to break the glass by leaving them hungry and teasing them with food. :mad:

They are really beautiful and unique creatures. Let's see a good pic asap!!!lol

Our lfs had a couple and when I asked about them they said it would be unusual for it to happen and they had never heard of it actually occurring. If they are fed correctly and not starving they should be fine. And you can always upgrade to acrylic when it gets bigger.

On youtube there are some poor sad examples of people trying to get them to break the glass by leaving them hungry and teasing them with food. :mad:

They are really beautiful and unique creatures. Let's see a good pic asap!!!lol

I cant find him anymore, sorry. Hes still hideing in the rock

Actually i think i may have a neogonodactylus wennerae. Which from what ive read only grows to 3-4". Cant really tell until i get a better look.

I know a guy who got hit. He said it felt like an electric shock, but not too bad. I think their power is exaggerated.

Ive been reading and it says they need a thick sand bed, i only have 20lbs of sand in its only 1" deep. Will this be enough?

Also it says they can break glass. This is drawing me away from the idea of having him as a pet and making me wanna give him to the lfs. Can anyone tell me if this true?

For the record, I'm jealous.

As for keeping him, I wouldn't worry about him breaking the glass. Just don't go out of your way to piss him off and you'll be fine. Since he's just a little guy a shallow sand bed should be just fine for now.

pour sulphuric acid in there, thatll get rid of him.... may be a small sacrifice for the tank but it'll solve the problem :p

lol so a no on the acid???

on a serious note, you could try catching him with an icecream container just put some meaty food in it, cut a hole on the top of the lid and put it next to where it lives, then over time itll hopefully jump in the container to get the food and cant get out

Well i thought about all the pros and cons of keeping him and here they are-
Pros-
Getting to look at an awesome invertarbrate.
Feeding would be amazing
Setting up another tank

And the cons-
The chance of it getting provoked and breaking the glass
Breaking through the divider while in the 20 and then killing everything
The work in setting up a new tank
The special food need for feeding
Risking getting a finger or two broken

So after thinking about it for 2 days i decided not to keep him, i traded him to the lfs for a piece of rock as i couldnt get him out of him former rock. They acclimated him and he is in the fuge of one of the 40b they have. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom