How to catch a mantis shrimp???? HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I moved my torch coral into a dif position in my tank and behind it was a baby mantis shrimp!!! He is very small, around 2-3 inches from what i can see, but i have heard they can kill fish and snap fingers. How should i get him out without him killing all my fish and maybe breaking one of my fingers??? HELP!!!

image-2775274512.jpg

image-2555652426.jpg

image-2572846565.jpg

I don't see it in these pictures, maybe you can get a clearer pic. But if it is a mantis shrimp, then you can buy a pest trap to catch it. If that doesn't work i'd remove the rock if you can, and put it in a bucket of freshwater until it either dies or comes out.

Hes gone back into his hole so i cant get a better pic, if you look to the right you can see his eyes poping out and his whiskers.

Edit: its in the middle of the 2nd pic where the dark to the right and the flashlight light meet.

I would not kill it. you can sell it. It didn't ask to be in your tank. It was kidnapped.
Can you lure it out with some food, then net it? Put a piece of food near the entrance and take a pic when it emerges.

I caught it, had to take 60lbs of rock out to get it lol, its in a 5g bucket with a bubbler in the rock. I can take it to the lfs tommarow to cash it in. I dont have an extra heater for it, can it live in 68° F? Dont know how im gonna get it out of the rock though...

Well, you've really just secluded the rock in hopes it is still there? If this is the route you are going, I'd put the rock in freshwater or use a turkeybaster to shoot freshwater through the rock to get it to come out.

Well, you've really just secluded the rock in hopes it is still there? If this is the route you are going, I'd put the rock in freshwater or use a turkeybaster to shoot freshwater through the rock to get it to come out.

No i saw it pop into the rock and i pulled it out. There is no other exit out of the rock from what i can see. Should i shoot RODI or tap?

A dip might kill the shrimp, but I'd use rodi that route to avoid too high of parameters that would also kill an invert. You could just shoot tap from a turkey baster and be ok with it.

A dip might kill the shrimp, but I'd use rodi that route to avoid too high of parameters that would also kill an invert. You could just shoot tap from a turkey baster and be ok with it.

I tried it but it isnt coming out. Should i put some frozen blood worms in for him?

Just saw him stick his head out of the hole, good thing he is in there! Can anyone answer my Q about heating?

I still don't see it in the pics lol.. Am I blind?

Maybe lol. I saw him again in the rock, hes green. Its a peacock for sure! I am gonna go get a tank divider and put him in my 20 long for a few weeks until i can get his home setup. Would you say a 5g is suitable? Or should i go with a 10?

Back
Top Bottom