Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
How to catch an assassin

I bought a cute little pistol shrimp about a year ago as company for my yellow watchman. It was real small, maybe 1" total body length, when I got it. It very rarely hangs out with the goby, and now has become huge and aggressive. Body length now is about 2" plus it's claws and fat. I don't know what it eats since it never comes out during feedings. I assume it feasts on pods.
Now, whenever I put my hand in the tank to arrange something or clean, the shrimp sneaks out of the rocks and shoots me. It got me once where it actually left a little red mark on my finger. I have seen it blast hermits off the rocks and snails right off the glass. I haven't seen it actually kill anything, but not for lack of trying.
Anyone have any ideas how to catch this little beast? Since it doesn't actually eat the same food as my fish, I don't think the jar with food in it trap will work. I don't want to tear the tank down to get it, but it got to go...one way or another.

ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Mine snaps at anything that gets too near his home. I feed mine a chunk of gell based frozen food, so it sinks and he can get it. I doubt he will kill anything in your tank unless it is trying to take over it's home. You will probably have to break down the rock work to get him out. The glass trick works for crabs and not shrimp (I think).

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
see my reply in this thread

mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com