How to catch an assassin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I bought a cute little pistol shrimp about a year ago as company for my yellow watchman. It was real small, maybe 1" total body length, when I got it. It very rarely hangs out with the goby, and now has become huge and aggressive. Body length now is about 2" plus it's claws and fat. I don't know what it eats since it never comes out during feedings. I assume it feasts on pods.
Now, whenever I put my hand in the tank to arrange something or clean, the shrimp sneaks out of the rocks and shoots me. It got me once where it actually left a little red mark on my finger. I have seen it blast hermits off the rocks and snails right off the glass. I haven't seen it actually kill anything, but not for lack of trying.
Anyone have any ideas how to catch this little beast? Since it doesn't actually eat the same food as my fish, I don't think the jar with food in it trap will work. I don't want to tear the tank down to get it, but it got to go...one way or another.

Mine snaps at anything that gets too near his home. I feed mine a chunk of gell based frozen food, so it sinks and he can get it. I doubt he will kill anything in your tank unless it is trying to take over it's home. You will probably have to break down the rock work to get him out. The glass trick works for crabs and not shrimp (I think).

Back
Top Bottom