How to change water w/sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlightRisk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a basic question, I'm going to be putting a Refugium at the bottom of my 29gal tank and I was wondering how do I do a water change? Do I turn off the sump and empty the main tank or empty the Refugium. If I emptied the refugium wouldn't it in-turn empty the main tank? :?

I would do the change in the main tank, if you changed water from your fuge...you are likely to pull out alot of the critters you want in there.

What I usually do is pump about 5 gals of water out of my sump into a bucket.. empty the bucket and pump 5 gals back into the sump.. It doesnt touch the Fuge nor the tank.. When i take 5gals out of my sump its just enough to still cover the pumps and I unplug the heater so everything seems to be great.. that way the water still gets evenly mixed with the tank water..

HTH<
James

I just shut the retun pump off in my sump, drain the water from my tank, then use a ph and a hose to add water back to my tank.

Back
Top Bottom