Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How to control algae?

I'm aware that 10 gallon aquariums are notoriously bad for algae anyway, but I seem to be having problems on my rocks now. I have attached 2 pictures. Af first, I was just annoyed by the green "carpet" algae growing on the right rock. It traps bubbles sometimes, and I don't like the way it looks.

However, last week I took all the rock out for several minutes (10-20?) to clean the aquarium and do a water change. Now I am noticing white spots on the right side of the middle rock and on the back of the right rock. Could this be a little dieoff from the 10-20 minutes I had the rock out of the aquarium?

In any case, how can I control this "green carpet" algae growth? Also, the "brown hair" algae I seem to have trouble controlling on the crushed coral? Could I put some crabs and snails in there to eat it? If so, what kind? Would it be a bad idea to scrub the rock with a new toothbrush?

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Looks like cyanobacteria to me. Here is a good link on battling it and what you can do to get rid of it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=48

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont see much of anything????
have you tested your water for phosphates, nitrates? how old is the tank, what kind of water do you use.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have a phosphate test at the moment, but I do intend to get one. Last nitrate test was just over 20 ppm.

I had been using tap water initially, which I am sure is what caused this issue. However, the last time I did a water change I used 5 gallons of RO water from my local grocery store. I have also been using RO water for daily evaporation topoffs. I intend to get my own RO/DI unit in the near future. The tank is almost 2 months old now.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com