Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How to control ph during hypo?

I've tried bicarbonate of soda to control the ph during my hyposalinity treatment, but nearly ended up killing all the fish. It caked up, covered the fish and seems like it didn't let them breath.

What about Seachem's Reef Buffer? Can I use that? What I'd like to know more precisely is what did others do during hyposalinity treatments to control ph and was it successful. Was there loss of fish during treatment?

Right now my salinity is at 1.008-1.009 specific gravity and my ph is 7.8, the ammonia is the primary issue and it's normally around 0.2-0.4. I try to keep it lower than 0.2 but it involves removing all the fish, change 100% of the water. I prefer not to do that as it probably stresses the fish even more.

I can tell some fish are uncomfortable in the QT for various reasons, but more importantly, it seems some of them are weaker than others. I hope by making the water conditions in the QT better during hypo that the weaker fish would survive. I have a strong feeling that by the end of this hypo treatment I would have lost 1/2 my fish. So far I lost a flame angel and a chromis.

cheers

W.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

API makes "Ph up" that works well. Soda Ash in solution will do the jop too.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keeping your ammonia at 0 shouldn't be an issue unless you're not fully cycled... what's your size and stocking list?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I'm trying a new solution to the pH problem. So far it seems to work and the fish are responding very well ( knock on driftwood). I add KH builder to the new SW mix but you have to leave it overnight for it to clear up the cloudiness it creates and for the pH readings to be accurate. Taking a pH reading right after mixing is completely off the charts. So I'm trying this now and will report back my findings.

Alternatively, one can prepare a KH mix in a container and keep it ready for dosing. Then you probably don't have to wait overnight to make the PWC.

Tags
control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com