Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How to feed after installing overflow........

I installed a new sump on my 30 hex with a new lifereef overflow. Since I am new to this setup I guess I am suppose to turn off the pump while feeding because the food just gets sucked in the overflow before the fish get it. Is this right or anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Old 12-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have always turned off the main pump the skimmer and any type of "filter", just leaving the powerheads on to feed. I usually run all the stuff to be turned off for feeding to one "six way" strip outlet that has an on/off switch, makes it easy to turn them all off at once.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:58 PM   #3

Feeding

Yeah thats the ticket, I'm glad I thought of that.....Right?

I have been holding the food under the water for a second and then letting it go, so it doesn't float...But, somehow it makes it to the overflow....I will implement that method now....
Old 01-21-2003, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Greetings.

When I feed my fish, I just let the water return spray bar take care of the food moving it around the tank. So basically, top, middle and bottom feeders are fed.

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I do not turn off any pumps either. My food generally sinks some so very little gets sucked into the overflow. I like the extra flow to blow the food around.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I shut my pumps down once a week for about 20min when I do my weekly LARGE feeding.

Seems like I feed smaller bits of food during the week and then once a week I mix up a big batch of frozen seafood cubes and brine and pour it in so not only the fish are feed but also some of the meat liking corals.

After about 20 min I start the main pump up again.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
i turn off my overflow and skimmer, my 500gph power filter and 300gph powerhead,still move the water enough no filters just for current. i do it for 1hr because i feed marine snow. 8) i also put some flake in my refugium for my bugs.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i don't usually turn anything off but just feed on the side opposite of my overflow and by the time it reaches the overflow it has sunk enought that it doesn't get sucked up.

Tags
feed, flow, overflow, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com