Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

One of the guys in our club has come up with an auto topoff process where the topoff water is constantly filled by a Kent float valve from the RO/DI. Then there are failsafes in place to prevent over-topping of the water using a kent float valve, a solonoid valve, a float switch and a timer. Since we're only going to be gone 8 days and my water container (a 55g drum) holds 9-11 days worth of water we're not going to worry. We'll top off the top off and the sump well before we leave to make sure that there's enough water in the drum to support the system while we're away.

We got the 55g drums from someone locally who must get them from a manufacturing (food, I think) facility. They're food grade and great. They're somewhat transluscent so you can easily see where the fill line is and they also have roughly 10g marks on the outside to make it even easier!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That is what I need! I am using a clear container that only holds about 15 gal. I try to not have too much in the container unless the float would happen to get stuck on. I do have a 2 float setup to combat this though. I use a 44 gal rubbermaid trash can for the RO/DI water but you can't see through the sides I might use it for the vacation though.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.njreefers.org/forums/inde...pic,797.0.html

One of the guys in our club (vertically challenged) has a great picture in that thread of him sitting IN the container. You can buy them from US Plastics, but I can't imagine it would be cost effective to ship them!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com